Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 3rd, 2007 20:00

Western digital mybook ES edition esata not recognized

On my dell dimension 8300 i have two internal ide/ata drives, properly working. I also bought today  a Western digital mybook ES edition external hard drive which has a esata connection (usb also available which works properly, but this is slower then esata, so i would like to connect via esata).

So, in my dimension I placed an esata bracket, which I have connected internally to one of the free sata plugs on my mobo. From this bracket i connect my WD external hard drive to this bracket with an external esata cable. Unfortunately my external hard drive is not recognized in my bios. I have placed the sata primary and secondary on auto, but it is still nog recognized. I also connected the esata bracket to the other internally sata plug on my mobo, but this wont work either!

Any help would be appreciated!

12.7K Posts

May 4th, 2007 00:00

Check to see that the sata port you are using on the motherboard is set to Auto in the bios, also the external drive must be powered on before the PC. That PC does not support hot plugging of Sata drives.

8 Posts

May 4th, 2007 07:00

Thanks for your answer.

I assume that putting the sata primary drive and sata secundary drive to auto is the same as the sata ports putting on auto. Or not?  I already did that as described above, but unfortunately that won't work. Or do I ve to change some other things in the bios? Also the disk was on when turning the computer on (ive tried that a couple of times).

Other suggestions maybe?

Thanks in advance!

12.7K Posts

May 4th, 2007 15:00

1. correct
2. I don't think so.

Esata is the same as sata, they just gave it that name to distinguish between internal and external.
Not sure what the problem is, I would google esata and do some research on the subject, I have no personal experience with it, but suspect I will soon, as USB 2.0 is too slow for my large file collection. Did you read all the documentation that came with the esata drive? I guess it is possible you have a bad cable or esata bracket.

Message Edited by mombodog on 05-04-2007 11:41 AM

8 Posts

May 4th, 2007 17:00

Thanks again.

I have found some other dutch guy who has the same problem. I think my mobo is too old or my drive is incompatible with my mobo or sata port. I will try my cables and esata bracket on another newer mobo/computer with a friend. Then i know at least that my cable and bracket works properly. Or maybe I will try an (e)sata pci card with a separate controller. They are availbale for a couple of dollars on ebay.

I will put new information later on this forum.

2 Posts

May 18th, 2007 09:00

Hi... I have exactly the same problem as you, also with the WD MyBook premium ES. Unlike you, I took the route of buying an eSATA II controller (faster) but the SATA volume simply isn't recognised. The MyBook runs perfectly (but slowly) under USB. I also have 2 EIDE disks already mounted. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with this version of the BIOS being limited to a max of 2 HDDs. Has anybody run into that?

8 Posts

June 17th, 2007 18:00

my esata connection works fine now......... it cost me a couple of weeks but infact it was very simple. I have a dell 8300 with already 2 ide drives. My external harddrive is a my book ES with esata. It works now fine with a separate pci sata raid controller (bought on ebay for appr. 10 eur). I also tried it with a esata bracket (sata to esata connection) also bought on ebay for appr. 10 eur. That works fine also!

The most important in my situation was the esata connection on my WD harddrive. My esata cable connector was to short en did not make any connection (stupid me) into the WD harddrive. I cut a little bit of plastic of my connector to make it smaller and now it fits fine into my western My book!!!!!!

Have fun with esata speed.
No Events found!