mstepansky64
1 Copper

Re: What does "unscanned" mean in hard drive space manager?

Jump to solution

>As this point in time, I check the pie chart, I have about 700 GB free space available... I notice system is eating up about 100-200 KB every seconds!!  Anyone have a solution???   Thanks.

Correction:  I mean to say. I have about 700 MB free space available.. and it is still decreasing... like 600 MB at this point.  Something is going on in the UNSCANNED space...

0 Kudos
mstepansky64
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Gertie, I have simiiar as yours. Please read my posting at the bottom about :"Unscanned" space, seen in WinDirStat.  I am please you have solution to increase the free space...

However, My XP does not have Disk Clean Up with "System files and Shadow Copies" functions,.  so how the heck can I clean up the unscanned files?  So I can increase "free space" from (currenlly) 600 MB to about 143 GB ??   Unscanned space is still creeping slowly.. invading my 160 GB Capacity... !!  can u help me?

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Hi mstepansky64,

You're posting faster than anyone can respond. 

I realize this is a frustrating situation. Unscanned usually refers to system reserved hard drive space. But there could also be nefarious causes. Have you tried safe mode?

0 Kudos
mstepansky64
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ooh thank you for the speedy reply, much appreciated ! Smiley Happy   Yes I have tried using safe mode (reboot, while pressing F8, in XP).  And after reboot, I tried to disable system restore points.. by right clicking "My Computer ", click properties.  In System Restore tab, I tried to disable it by putting uncheckmark.. the same error dialog that I mentioned earlier minutes ago... now what?  

Even tried using RSTRUI.exe in command line prompt.. no luck.  I believe my resstore points was corrupted when I had rogue trojan (root kit named "Zero.Access") back in April 2012...

This put CPU activity on High 100%, while making 100+ FTP connections.. writes thousands of files in folder named NETWORK SERVICE (!!!).. my experience was horrible.but a learning experience..  After 7 days of maddness, I even called McAfee to take control over my system remotely.. ($300 service charge).. 48 hours later, I found the "likely" cause.. by using MSERT (Microsoft Safety Scanner) and also MRT (Microsoft - Malicious Removal Tools.. but they had to make sure it was cleared before they install the new security antivirus package..

So thats why my restore points is acting wild at this point.. as I explained in my story minutes ago.  It is now less than 600 mb free space here.. omg!  No wonder why iPad is more attractive than PC nowadays.. LOL.

0 Kudos
mstepansky64
1 Copper

Jump to solution

> But there could also be nefarious causes.

what other nefarious causes are you thinking of?  Are you a Dell tech support?  will Dell tech support will be able to resolve this, via remote control diagnostic, for $118 fee (because my warranty was expired in 9/2010)?

By the way, should I go ahead try the "Wipe Free Space" menu, in the bottom list of CCleaner apps??  this could recalculate the MFT (file cluster/allocation) renumeration to generate an accurate report in the system files??

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

No, I'm just a user like you.

Wipe free space won't help because that space is being used by the system. Honestly, I would either restore the factory image or just do a clean reinstall. Your laptop is a few years old now and a clean reinstall would really improve performance as well as reclaim your free space.

0 Kudos
Gertie23
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey there.  I'm just a somewhat knowledgeable user, but I will quote what I wrote down in my notes when I fixed this problem (the first time in many years that I was actually able to solve a problem and not have to pay someone else!).  I went by an article I found on wintuts.com (windows tutorials) called System Restore Space Used (or something close to that).   So, here is what I wrote down in case I ever had to do it again (which I have not had to do):  

"In the Dell Device Space Manager, "unscanned" refers to Restore section.  Needed to change number of restores kept.  Before change, "unscanned" took up 128.352 GB (with 130.535 allocated) and maximum was "unbounded."  I used Disk Clean Up (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up > Choose OS (C):--from new window, click More Options--then under System Files & Shadow Copies, click Clean Up) to get rid of extra restore points.  Then it went to unscanned at 13.2 GB and free space rising from 7.5 GB to 126.7 GB.  I re-set Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space from unbundled to 30 GB."

These are notes to myself, so I hope it makes sense to you.  I think if you read what I wrote and combine it with the information found at wintuts, you should be able to follow it.  If, however, your computer sends up some other kind of message, I'm afraid I won't be able to help you.  I was just lucky this "by the book" description in the tutorials worked for me.  Good luck and merry Christmas!.     PS--as I recall, the main thing was changing the Maximum Shadow Copy Storage from "unbundled" to a specific GB (I researched a little and chose 30 GB and it seems to be ok for me).

rakkhar
1 Copper

RE: What does "unscanned" mean in hard drive space manager?

Jump to solution

Thanks Osprey4! My VISTA OS was prey to 50+ GB of restore points.

0 Kudos