Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 29th, 2011 09:00

What is the maximum size of HDD that can be fitted to Optiplex GX620

I make the question and the answer because I searched over Internet and I didn't find the answer.
I bought a 3TB HDD without knowing if it would work or not on an Optiplex GX620.

I successfully add a 3TB SATA3 (6Gb/s) HDD (Western Digital WD30EZRX) as secondary drive on an Optiplex GX620 with Bios revison A11.
No need to add jumpers on the disk. The default HDD settings are functional and the bios report a 3.0 TB HDD and SATA2 (3Gb/s) link speed.
HDD benchmark report a 130 MB/s sequential transfert.

I also test on a Dimension 5000 and it work the same.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 29th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for the information. It will help other users.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2013 13:00

I was wondering if i can upgrade my Dell Optiplex GX620 Desktop Computer to at lest a 1 TB intertal hard drive, or higher without messing up my Desktop normal functions?

My computer has Windows XP Professional in it as well. not sure what all you need like the specs wise. Just dont want to mess anything up thats all.

I just bought this computer and wanted to upgrade it so if you can help me out please let me know what i will need to do to upgrade it without messing up my computer plz help if you can of course...

The Sooner the better plz...

Thanks,

Cody Wright.

21 Posts

Go to dell.com or type in to your Internet Browser..... Dell Optiplex  GX620 Speds, you will be directed to the  PDF, showing specifications for this machine, under, hard drives will listed the maximum hard drive allowed for this model. Be mindful that these earlier Optiplex models some were built for specifics types of hard drives. Let me know results.

21 Posts

Correction: Specs

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 20th, 2013 14:00

CodyW29

The Optiplex GX620 has four different versions, Ultra Small Form Factor Computer, Small Form-Factor Computer, Small Desktop Computer and Small Mini-Tower Computer, please include the model version you have, when posting a message.  

Yes, a 1TB internal SATA hard drive will work fine, in the GX620

Bev.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2013 14:00

well i found out that. Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 4GB

Currently Installed Memory: 1GB

Total Memory Slots: 4

Available Memory Slots:  2

and it said something about Interhard Drive up to 1TB.... on Dell.com system scaner..

one more question can i change out the two memory that are in use right now to larger ones? with out  Deleteing all my stuff?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 20th, 2013 16:00

I have confirmed that the GX620 is compatible with a matched pair of G.SKILL PC6400 DDR2. It is also amenable to an SSD as a primary boot drive and it is also Windows 8 64-bit-compatible.

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

October 26th, 2020 22:00

"1 TB internal SATA HDD will work fine" - Can you please clarify if this a limitation of onboard RAID controller or anything else? I have a OptiPlex 9010 which I am planning to convert into home nas by installing a RAID PCIe controller card. I can successfully boot the computer and the bootloader detects the RAID controller as "mass storage" however when i plug in a HDD to the RAID controller card, it throws an error "error 6" (whatever that means) after which the linus os still boots up but I cannot see the HDD connected to that RAID controller.

No Events found!