Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2009 10:00

Windows-XP generic driver for CD/DVD-RW units: no write-access for DVD-RW units

My Dimension 4700 *Medium* PC is configured with Windows-XP (Dell-delivered version) plus the followup Service Packs (SP).. Since I did install the SP2 & SP3 Windows-XP defines both DVD-RW drives (NEC-3450A, part of original delivery and Sony-DRU-710A, later installed) as DVD-ROM-drives, only!!!!!!!!! I did install all recent firmware updates for both units. So far, I did not find any specific DVD-RW driver for NEC and/or SONY drives.

What is wrong with my Windows-XP respectively what do I have to do to get Windows-XP to accept my drives as DVD-RW (Read/Write) units?

10.9K Posts

April 27th, 2009 10:00

See if this Microsoft Article is helpful ..........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529

April 27th, 2009 11:00

Thank you, Skybird,  for the information: I did follow the proposed procedure, but for both devices the appropriate keys were set to 'write-enabled (Drive Type value = 2) but the DVD property-windows of the individual DVD-drives show under Geräte-Typ: 'DVD/CD-ROM-Laufwerke'.

Thus - no success, sorry

10.9K Posts

April 27th, 2009 13:00

Will the drives write to DVDs?  They show as DVD-ROM in Windows XP because XP cannot write to DVD media.  Thus, third-party software is required to write DVDs.  Windows XP will only recognize a DVD Writer as a DVD-ROM.

April 28th, 2009 11:00

Hi Skybird,

thank you very much for your response and the very valuable information about Windows-XP and its DVD capability.
in earlier days I could write to DVDs with NERO version 7 software, but since a few months NERO does not complete the writing process. Within NERO software both drives are recognized and identified as DVD-RW drives. On my second PC (with Windows-XP) I also have a DVD-RW drive and identical NERO software. There I can write to DVDs without any problems.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance

10.9K Posts

April 29th, 2009 06:00

It looks like something is going on with Nero. 
I am not a Nero user.  What is the error you
are receiving with Nero when the writing process
fails?

April 30th, 2009 01:00

High Skibyrd,

thanks for your hint - you are right, NERO software was damaged and I did reinstall my software. The most important issue was your info about Windows-XP DVD capabilities/restrictions. That was very helpfull for better understanding of Windows-XP.

Thanks so far and have a nice weekend

Yours Ernst Schubert

10.9K Posts

April 30th, 2009 06:00

Glad you got things resolved.  Best regards.

No Events found!