Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2008 01:00

Windows reinstall and DVD reading/writing slowness

Hi, I recently reloaded XP on my Dim 3000.  All is well for the most part.  I had some issues but worked them out.  The only real concern I have at the moment is my DVD drives.  I should mention that when I reloaded XP I went from XP home to XP Pro, and also updated from Bios AO2 to AO3.  I am told that this is a concern as to why my DVD writer and readers are sooooooo slow.  What use to take 45 mins to read and burn, now takes over 3 hours.  Its not a software issue for sure.  I have tested 3 different brands and make sure, reinstalling each to make sure as well.  I was advised to uninstall my primary and secondary IDE and let them reload upon rebooting windows.  My buddy seems to think its a PIO/DMA issue, but I have no clue what those mean, only what he had me try, with no luck.

Primary IDE: 

Transfer Mode: DMA if available

Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1

Device Type:  Auto Detection

Transfer Mode:  DMA if available

Current Transfer Mode:  Not Applicable

Secondary IDE:

Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Device 1

Current Transfer Mode:  PIO Mode

Any suggestions?  He thinks its a combination of possible firmware issues and/or Bios issues since the updated install of Bios AO2 to AO3.

Thanks for any help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 26th, 2008 04:00

Your buddy is correct. The drive is running in PIO mode ("Current Transfer Mode:  PIO Mode") , probably a result of the BIOS update, which reset all your BIOS settings. Go into the BIOS and make sure your drives are both set to auto or on. If you see "unknown", that's going to create problems.

Once that's set, boot up and go to device manager. Uninstall both drives and the secondary IDE channel and reboot. They will be reinstalled by XP. Then check your secondary IDE channel again.

11 Posts

December 26th, 2008 13:00

Ok, I checked this out.  The following settings are checked so I left them alone.

Primary Master Drive is AUTO ( set to hard drive )

Primary Slave is OFF

Secondary Master Drive is AUTO ( set to CD )

Secondary Slave is OFF

IDE Drive to UDMA ON

I didn't change anything, just a look to see what was set.  I did reinstall my IDE drivers with no luck.  Set me back to PIO on Secondary IDE as listed above... I'm stumped.

I guess the question now is... How do I go about correcting this problem? There has to be a fairly easy way, I would think. Thanks again for any advice.

3.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 08:00

Hello,

When installing Windows on Dell systems you must follow the required order of install.

:emotion-55:  Pay attention to the note about booting into safe mode. :emotion-55:

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

11 Posts

December 27th, 2008 11:00

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I already went throught this check sheet. This is the way I installed Windows. The Bios upgrade is the problem at the current moment, it is affecting my dvd drivers by not letting me switch to DMA from PIO mode. I just need to know if i can or should go back to Bios AO2 from updated Bios AO3 ??  I was told I may have issues getting back to the original Bios, even if I do reinstall Windows.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2008 07:00

Dojia:

Try this fix. It resets the registry to force DMA.

11 Posts

December 28th, 2008 22:00

Hey, thanks for the reply! I tried the fix no luck, even reinstalled the primary and secondary IDE's rebooted ran the VBS again with the same results.  I switched the secondary IDE to DMA, but still reads PIO as current mode.  So I am back to square one of this original post as the info states up at the top of this page.  LOL...  I am baffled.   Any thoughts?

Primary IDE: 

Device 1

Secondary IDE:

Device 1

Current Transfer Mode:  PIO Mode

From the site you listed with the fix said the following---

However, there are a few reasons why a computer may use PIO instead of DMA, particularly when it's the hard disk port that falls back, not a CD/DVD drive port. For example, David Duberman reported in 2005 that some Dell computers have DMA disabled in their BIOS by default for the second hard disk. So it is a good idea to check the BIOS settings first.

2007-05-13 – Jason Paquette confirmed that the BIOS setting in his Dell computer was wrong too and prevented DMA mode. Correcting the BIOS setting immediately enabled the DMA mode

However I know nothing about BIOS setting or how to impliment this change or correction.  Here is what Nero has listed for my settings if this is any help.  Note the bottom BIOS is AO3, the original BIOS was AO2, which I am told is causing the problem most likely, as I did update it after running through the chipset and all those procedures.

Nero InfoTool 4.03

Drive Information
------------------
Drive                      : PHILIPS  DVD+-RW DVD8701
Type                       : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version           : 5D24
Buffer Size                : 2 MB
Date                       : ?
Serial Number              : MY0M97537015958201A1
Vendor Specific            :  MY0M97537015958201A1
Drive Letter               : D:\
Location                   : 1:0
Mechanism                  : Tray
Read Speed                 : 48  X
Write Speed                : 48  X

Disc Information (D:\)
-------------------
Type                   : no disc inserted

Drive Information
------------------
Drive                      : SONY     DVD RW DW-Q120A
Type                       : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version           : PYS1
Buffer Size                : 2 MB
Date                       : ?
Serial Number
Vendor Specific            :   Jan27 ,2006       
Drive Letter               : E:\
Location                   : 1:1
Mechanism                  : Tray
Read Speed                 : 48  X
Write Speed                : 48  X

Disc Information (E:\)
-------------------
Type                   : no disc inserted

Interface Information
---------------------
Adapter 1
---------
Description           : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
Description           : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Company               : Microsoft Corporation
Version               : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
Description           : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description           : Master: Maxtor 6Y080L0
Type                  : Disk Drive
DMA                   : On

Adapter 2
---------
Description           : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver
Description           : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Description           : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description           : Master: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701
Type                  : CD-Rom Drive
DMA                   : On
Autorun               : On
Description           : Slave: SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A
Type                  : CD-Rom Drive
DMA                   : Off
Autorun               : On

Adapter 3
---------
Description           : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

Driver
Description           : System32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Description           : UHCI USB Miniport Driver

Attached Devices
Description           : WD 3200AAC External USB Device
Type                  : Disk Drive

Software Information
--------------------
Operating System     : Windows XP Professional (5.01.2600 Service Pack 3)
Country              : United States
Language             : English
ANSI Code Page       : 1252
OEM Code Page        : 437
DirectX              : DirectX 9.0c

Description          : Nero Burning ROM
Version              : 6, 6, 1, 15
Company              : Ahead Software AG
Version Check        : Ok

Hardware Information
--------------------
CPU                  :   2800 MHz
Bus Speed            :  533 MHz
Motherboard          :  Dell 0TC667
System               :  Dell Dimension 3000              
BIOS                 :  Dell A03
Memory               : 2045 MB
Sound                : SoundMAX Digital Audio
Video                : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 29th, 2008 05:00

You said both drives are listed as Auto in the BIOS, correct?

11 Posts

December 29th, 2008 06:00

Yes they are, both are set to auto. VBS isn't fixing it, ran thru and manually wiped some Regedit files like that website instructed with no changes as well. If I have to reinstall Windows completely I will, however will this turn out the same way again?

Funny enough, if I leave Primary IDE to AUTO in BIOS and Secondary to OFF, I get this.. but it still doesn't work correctly

Primary IDE: 

Device 1

Secondary IDE:

Device 1