Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2013 18:00

Windows sees 3 TB HDD as having only 746.52 GB capacity

Hello. I have an Alienware Aurora desktop computer running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I just installed a 3 TB HGST Deskstar 7K3000 SATA internal hard drive, which I want to use for data, not as a system or boot disk. 

I have initialized the drive as a GPT disk, and Windows Explorer, Windows Disk Management, and EaseUS Partition Master Professional can see it, but they all see it as having only 746.52 GB capacity.  I can create a partition that size if I want to, but I want the full 3 TB (or 2.7 or whatever it really is).

I have installed the latest drivers for my SATA controller and Intel chipset, and I've installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and software. The Intel software can see the full 3 TB capacity in my new HDD, but it doesn't seem to let me do anything to make that capacity available to Windows.

The Dell support page keeps telling me that I need urgently to install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.1.1.1019, A01 (Driver), even though I've installed it three or four times already, and successfully as far as I can tell.  (That is, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology is installed and seems to be working, as I mentioned already--though I should mention also that the only thing it offers to let me do is to turn on the HDD port LED.  Is it supposed to do more, if I don't have a RAID set-up?)

I'll be grateful for any help.

Sincerely,

Jim Crutchfield
Long Island City, NY 

6.4K Posts

September 13th, 2013 19:00

Yes, RAID is different.  Using AHCI mode you do not need to worry about the version of the Option ROM as it is not used in this mode.  As soon as you have the version 11 RST application installed, you should be good to go.

7 Posts

September 13th, 2013 19:00

I won't deny my ignorance. I'm running the SATA AHCI mode. Does that make a difference as you are referring to RAID? Or is this totally different?

BTW, been digging and digging, and found out my intel IRST is version 9.6.0.1014. Looks like I will upgrade that. 

Been through a lot today, learned a lot, and my head is still spinning. Going to sleep on it and try the upgrade tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input JACKSHACK.

Bob

7 Posts

September 14th, 2013 06:00

Wow, after all the <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>

I've been through in the last two weeks, that was so simple!!!! :emotion-1:

After talking to the guy at the local computer shop several times, getting advice from WD, reading a gazillion topics found through Google, watching multiple YouTube videos, etc., why was there never any mention about having current INTEL drivers?????

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I finally found this forum, and will definitely be back when I get my back up against the wall again.

Bob

6.4K Posts

September 14th, 2013 10:00

You are very welcome, we are very happy you have it running like you want it.

Best of luck to you.

Jack

10 Posts

September 14th, 2013 13:00

Thank you very much JackShack - that is what I was fearing.  Dell shows that I'm on the latest version of the BIOS (only 23 months old - yay!), so I guess I'm screwed, right? 

I think I'm going to go back to building my own PCs, it was always so much easier...

6.4K Posts

September 19th, 2013 16:00

Regrettably, the Option ROM is normally updated only as part of a BIOS update, and these are normally produced only by the OEM who makes the machine.  Dell stops making updates as soon as a given model has ended production.

There have been occasions that I have seen non-Dell updates for the system BIOS for computers that had a lot of popularity for gamers, but the risk of installing one of these is totally left to the owner of the computer.  If you have a current warranty, that will be void if an attempt is made to load a third party BIOS, and your Dell Windows installation will be voided as well.  If the third party didn't get everything just right, the machine is bricked because Dell machines do not have the emergency recovery chip that I've seen on computers from other vendors.  And, since the third party BIOS is not from Dell, your factory installed Windows installation becomes non-genuine as that is locked to the official Dell BIOS.

The question is likely moot on the Studio XPS 9100, however, as I've seen nothing from a third party on this particular machine.

10 Posts

September 19th, 2013 16:00

I've seen conflicting information about whether there might be a later version of the BIOS for the Studio 9100 that would update the Option ROM for the RAID so I can use my 3TB disks.  But the Dell site only shows A04, the same version I'm on.  Obviously I don't want to screw up the BIOS or take chances there...so does anybody know any more about this issue?

I'm just having a hard time thinking about the fact that I just wasted $300 for disk drives that I can't create a simple mirror for!

Thanks in advance.

Scott

10 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 09:00

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such a thorough answer.  I appreciate it.

6.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 15:00

You are very welcome.  Best of luck to you

No Events found!