Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2011 22:00

Windows wont boot while in AHCI mode

ok, here we go ,

I had a bad crashed and my hard drive gone bad so i bought another hard drive from ebay (used). This hard drive doesnt show me any problem in any dell diagnostic test , neither it shows any problem on other software and the built-in SMART shows 100% health.

the first time i put it in my laptop it gave me error "No boot sector on internal hard drive" with 3 options. cool it's quite simple and the answer is that there is no system file, no windows, no partition etc.

I went ahead and installed windows vista on it while i set controller to AHCI as this is factory enabled and installation went fine until the time for the windows to restart for the installation procces to take effect , at this time when it went to boot after dell logo it gave me the same error "no boot sector on internal hard drive" with 3 options 'F1 retry' 'F2 setup'  'F5 diagnose utility'

I thought it is ok as the installation may not have taken control of hard drive or windows file , so setup CD was still there and i let it run without hitting any key and it boot up to setup where it left before restart .

ok, the third time when it finished all setup and installation and went for restart it came up with the same error above and now the situation is, that whenever i start the laptop or restart it wont boot to windows . It must give me the above error and when i hit F1 then it will boot or iether i put a bootable cd and dont press any key and it will boot fine but it must show the above error every time when it pass from dell logo screen.

I reinstall windows vista three times with the AHCI driver loaded from usb upon intallation downloaded for my model from dell with same error on start up

Installed windows 7 two times with and without dell AHCI drive in both tries same above error on start up .

erased hard drive with MHDD software developed by hdguru.com and intalled fresh windows still same error . I am not noob' i know how to setup bios boot sequence . I reset bios many times and even set only internal HDD to boot from but same error . updated bios to new A6 available latest version before and after again, same error

Installed both windows vista and 7 on ATA/IDE mode and will boot without any problem from bios , without need of any key or bootable CD , however if i set controller to AHCI it will give me the above error.

Bear in minde that problem will arise only if i set controller to AHCI mode and i change controller prior to installation not after.

in some forum someone suggestion to similer problem was to take unplug and take out battery for some time to reset bios and to reseat hard drive and i done it with no succes .

Now it's been 10 days i am living with this problem and numerous hours of searching couldnt find anything to my problem so please help me , I have entirely lost my mind with no other option

13 Posts

December 29th, 2011 10:00

And could you possibly guide me to somewhere which supports Toshiba firmware or software , I couldnt find anything for toshiba HDs dont know why they didnt make anything for these particular products , do you thing is this because the hard disk i have is old?

6.4K Posts

December 29th, 2011 11:00

The support page for the drive you specified is here:  Toshiba MK1246GSX.  I see nothing in the way of firmware updates, however.

You've presented a very interesting problem.  If you use a hard drive from another manufacturer you can format and install Windows, and everything works correctly.  If you set the controller to ATA, you can format and install Windows on the problem drive, and everything works correctly.  The only problem you have seems to occur when you set the controller to AHCI and try to format and install Windows on the Toshiba drive.  If it were not for the fact that you can make the drive work in ATA mode, I would conclude that the Toshiba is not compatible with your computer.

Could you remind me what version of Windows you are trying to use?  The 64 bit version of Vista and Windows 7 are both capable of partitioning a drive using the GPT partitioning system.  Is there any possibility that you are choosing that method of partitioning?  Your computer is not capable of booting from a disk that has been partitioned using the GPT and that would be one reason you are seeing this behavior.  I'm pretty sure you must select the GPT on purpose, however, so I would think you would know if this was the problem.

I'm afraid this has me completely puzzled; In order to use this drive you may need to leave the controller in ATA mode.  To be honest, your performance will not suffer enough to be noticeable on a system using a single hard drive.

EDIT:  By the way; have you tried using any of the boot sector repair tools that were mentioned in the links I gave you earlier?  Perhaps the problem is repairable.

13 Posts

December 30th, 2011 02:00

Hi thanks for helpful comments, I have installed wndows vista 32bit , windows vista 64bit , and windows 7 64bit. none of them were able made it run on start up .

As for the GPT, i dont think i have ever use to partition using this method as i ersed this disk 2 times , once with MHDD and the other time with kill disk .

the first ever time i use windows management to build 'MBR' there were two option MBR and something like GUID i dont know wether if you are talking about GUID .

As for the conclution you have made , i agree for some piont as i have experience the same that this particular model may not be competible with my system 'again bios related issue ' bug.

I have tried booting troubleshooter starting from windows cd but when boot from windows DVD that doesnt bring repaire option as i downloaded it from somewhere online after struggling with vista ,

Then i made a system restor disk on same laptop and tried to boot from it , Now the interesting thing is that it will end up with the following problem with black screen , It will say, WINDOWS FAIL TO START . A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MIGHT BE THE CAUSE .

and will show the problem drivers

FILE: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

now it will ask me to insert installation disk and restart , if i insert installation disk it wont bring up repair option ,

And the next option it will bring up is FILE : \BOOT\BCD

INFO . An error occure while attempting to read the boot configiration data.

I dont where it was but after some enters or putting cd this came up

However i am able to boot to windows reapire console only through hitting F8 at start up and then select repaire.

The other freaking thing is that all bootrec repaire commands will come up saying that the operation was successfull however if i type scan os command it will say ''Identified windows installation or something similler is '0'

i have huge windows in C drive how come it says 0?

13 Posts

December 30th, 2011 02:00

BTW, I hve also tried to repaire boot automatically. It will say that windows found no problem if you have attach any external camera or hardware remove and restart

6.4K Posts

December 30th, 2011 09:00

As for GUID, yes, you are talking about the GPT as regards disk drives.

Perhaps the problem is that the Vista or Windows 7 boot code requires a sector that is not easily read on that particular drive.  I've read many posts from people who were using Toshiba drives and had no trouble.  It would be interesting to modify the experiment you have already made just a bit; installing Vista or Windows 7 on the Toshiba drive mounted in another computer.  If you can take the problem drive, put it in another computer, and make it work, the trouble is definitely something incompatible between your computer and the Toshiba drive.  If the problem follows the drive, however, you know it is something about the drive that isn't quite right.

You have done a lot of excellent troubleshooting, but I would think by now that the cost of using that drive is outweighing its value.  I would either use that drive on ATA as it seems to work that way, or use another drive that doesn't produce so much trouble.

EDIT:  GUID = Globally Unique Identifier, GPT = GUID Partitioning Table

13 Posts

December 30th, 2011 13:00

Actually , i am not used to IDE and it will reduce megnificant speed and performance , i have noticed over 10 to 15 seconds delay in start up , 4 to 5 seconds delay in openning folders and applications , dissabling eSATA port, observing the overall disadvantages i am forced to use AHCI even in manuall start up .

You are right! as i have done all the basic and advance troubleshhoting , there is nothing left a can think of to make this drive run correctly and the problem itself has revealed that i wont boot in this laptop whatever you do ,

So , i am reached to the conclution stating that my HD is not competible or may have some fault anywhere but cant be traced  and therfore i will give up trying to make it work as i have never seen this kind of problem nor can find on internet .

3 Posts

October 14th, 2012 15:00

I have the same problem in an Inspiron 1545 W7 x64. The Hd is Toshiba MK3263GSX .... Ive done everything, the biggest mystery I've ever seen... 

No Events found!