Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FM

May 6th, 2006 20:00

Writing files to a CD

After copying and pasting some files to a CD-RW disk, it says at the top of the page "files ready to be written to the CD". What am I supposed to do next? Are these files really on the CD or not?

[Inspiron 600m, Windows XP]

10.9K Posts

May 6th, 2006 23:00

Right-click the drive icon (or the Files Ready to Be Written to the CD note),
and select Write these files to CD.  The CD Writing Wizard appears, which allows
you to specify a label for the disk.  Follow the instructions to complete the
process.

96 Posts

May 7th, 2006 18:00

If I go to "My Computer" and left-click on the cd icon DVD/CD-RW drive (D:), the CD comes up and shows the files I have already pasted to it. Now if I right-click on this icon and click on "write these files to the CD" I get the Writing Wizard but then I get the message, "insert a writeable disk to continue" and "there is no disk in the drive" but there is! If I click on "next" nothing happens.

If I left-click on the CD shortcut on the desktop, it brings up the CD as it should. But if I then go to properties, it shows the shortcut as D:\. Ok, now if I click on the General tab I get the message "the name D:\ in the target box is not valid, Make sure the path and the name is correct". But if it is not valid how  come I have been copying and pasting files to this drive? Do you have any idea what is going on?

10.9K Posts

May 7th, 2006 20:00

In My Computer, right-click the drive and select Properties.
Select the Recording tab.  Is the box checked for Enable CD
recording on this drive
?

50 Posts

I have this same problem - and its driving me crazy. I have an Inspiron XPS, with an NEC DVD+RW ND-6650a writer. I can burn a DVD with a program like Studio Plus, and I can burn a data disc onto a CD with Nero, but when I try to simply drag and drop files and burn data files to a CD in Windows XP, it tells me to insert a writable CD and that there isn't one in the drive - even though there is. I just tried to drag 5 photos in using Windows Explorer and write them to a CD - when I went to write them I got that message (Insert a writeable CD, none is present, etc.) But then I started up Nero and easily burned the exact photos to the same CD, no problem.

Anyone know what the problem is?

10.9K Posts

What is the Brand and Model of drive?  Look in the Device Manager .........

Start | Control Panel | System in classic view | Hardware tab | Device Manager

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives and it will reveal the Brand and Model
of the drives.  Post that.

Does the drive read other discs?

10.9K Posts

May 7th, 2006 21:00

What you are seeing is normal.  The Device Manager Properties is for
the Hardware, not software.  In Explore or My Computer you see the
addition of the software.  What burning software do you have installed
on your system?

50 Posts

Interesting - when I right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, I get the recording tab in properties and it the enable recording by dragging is checked. When I look at properties for the drive in the Device Manager by right clicking on the drive listed in the device manager list, there's no recording tab and it seems to be treating it as a plain CD reader.

50 Posts

I use Studio Plus or Movie Edit Pro for dvd editing and writing, Nero for data/CD burning, sometimes iTunes. Never had a problem just dragging data files to the CD and burning them in Windows Explorer until this past week, though, and nothing new installed. Even used System Restore to go back a few days, that didn't fix it either.

10.9K Posts

May 7th, 2006 22:00

Do you have Sonic installed on your system?

50 Posts

May 7th, 2006 23:00

Uninstalled Sonic, rebooted, still says "there is no disc in the drive" and "Please insert a writeable CD into drive D:\"

Ugh

10.9K Posts

If you have Sonic and Nero on your system at the same time,
the packet writing parts of each will conflict.  DLA (Sonic)
and InCD (Nero) cannot live well togather.  Remove one.  I
recomend removing DLA as it has proven itself troublesome in
many ways. 

Once that is done, make sure the box is checked for Eable burning
on the drive and see if things change. 

50 Posts

Yes, I belive so.

I thought I had it figured out - IMAPI CD Writing service was stopped in Services. Set it to manual and started it, but that didn't help. Also set it to Automatic, and that didn't help. Darn - just new I had it!

I can create a new folder on a CD in Explorer, I can write data to the CD via Nero or write a DVD, but I just can't get Windows Explorer to recognize that there's a writeable disc in the drive.

10.9K Posts

May 8th, 2006 00:00

My last thought is to uninstall the drive in the Device Manager
then reboot to ensure the driver is good.

50 Posts

May 8th, 2006 02:00

Yep, did that first (uninstalled, reboot, etc.) Also tried some things from MS KB, but no joy. Nero works, its just Windows XP Explorer not recognizing it.

96 Posts

May 8th, 2006 21:00

The box for "enable cd recording on the drive" is checked.

At one time I was able to drag files to the cd-rw ok but had some wierd problems, like once fiinding all the files i had copied to the disk were gone, or at least not visible and I saw only the files "autorun", udfrchk.exe, and udfrinst.zl. So that's when I looked at the properties, recording tab and I saw that this box for enabling cd recording was not checked. So that's when I checked it. From then on I could see the message, "there are files ready to be written" which was not there before.

So yes, the "enable cd recording on the drive is checked.

Question: if  the writing wizard never worked does this mean all the files I think I have on the drive are not really burned into the drive and this disk wll not work with another computer? Just how does this process work?

Frank M
No Events found!