Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2016 23:00

XPS 12 SSD LiteOnIt stuck in windows PE

I work in IT and have been working on a computer for a friend.

Her daughter began to upgrade to Windows 10, then unplugged it.

From another thread on this forum, I got a file from Microsoft and a copy of windows 10 and tried to continue, but it literally sat there "working" for a day.

I tried to revert but that did about the same.

I am unsure what OS was on here. I think Windows 8 pro.

The errors for reverting and finishing the install denoted a locked SSD.

I contacted the manufacturer of the drive and got some help, but it ultimately led me nowhere.

I have tried every type of partition tool.

I tried to create a WinPE tool and Hirem's too. 

I tried to use a few Linux OS.

Why is this drive so hard to work with? Nice security I suppose, but geesh.

Here, I read of plugging the drive in after the computer starts and also trying to get at it after the computer is "asleep." 

I went back at the manufacturer and begged for a means to wipe the SSD. They were kind enough to give me a preformat tool. (This is just a 'state' for a drive, doesn't really do anything but should allow me to reinstall windows and get access and all)

I get the computer into that state, go to Dell Drivers download section, enter the computer's details and....no copy of windows is available there. I have found it available for many in the past, but not this one.

There's a number of threads on this topic but I'm not finding them ending in success unless a message is there like "Thanks Danny from Dell Support." The fix isn't shared. I've struck out so many times, I lack confidence that the preformat tool will work.

How would you advise me to unlock the drive, wipe, and install windows on it? (She doesn't like windows 10 on her other computer so...)

Can you tell me what version of windows these came with? and where to get it? Everywhere I go, I see WinPE or Windows 10.

Thank you for your help

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

Hi FHBRIAN,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

Please check the below link and see if the steps help you boot:

http://dell.to/2fd6OHJ

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 15:00

So put the .exe on a jump drive, go to command line and run it?
Will do

Not sure how this will help me install windows on it but maybe it's a first step

November 3rd, 2016 09:00

Hi FHBRIAN,

We have responded to your private message.

No Events found!