Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 21st, 2008 08:00

XPS 1530 - Blu Ray Wont Play New Disk (Tropic Thunder)

I have 2 other blu ray disks, Cars and Pirate of Carribean and they play just fine. I just bought Tropic Thunder, and everytime i put in it the blu ray, it gives me the prompt for the periodic updates, i do that, and it tells me none are available. Then after i do that on my screen it puts Movies, and then Matshita BD-RE UJ-2225S, BD-RE Drive (E:) Tropic_Thunder_AC Now Playing.... but it doesnt play, and when i click on that it goes back in to the prompt for periodic updates. I just go round and round.

I have the video card "256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT" and i went on the dell site and got the most recent NVIDIA version last night downloaded it and still nothing.  I'm playing this through the MediaDirect, i've also tried playing this through the Windows Media Center, but it tells me that, Cannot Play Disc, No program is installed to play Blu-ray disc in Windows Media Center. So i'm not really understanding that.... i just want to play my Tropic Thunder!!!

Any suggestions? Thanks so much! :)

3.7K Posts

November 21st, 2008 11:00

HI, When you talk about periodic updates are you talking about Firmware updates because they are important. Check on the Matshita web site for your Firmware updates. Also Windows Media center will not play Blu-ray, because it does not have Mpeg4, a third party software is required for that, ie, Cyberlink Power DVD HD, or Coral WinDVD 9 Plus HD. There is nothing wrong with your graphics card.

7 Posts

November 21st, 2008 12:00

Great thanks for the help, i will look into a third party software. Its just aggrevating because you spend alot for your computer, and seems that its starting to be a money pit.... rats!!! And all i want to do is watch my Tropic Thunder!! hehe

Thanks for also clearing up the Windows Media center question as well.  Thanks again! :)

21 Posts

January 19th, 2009 15:00

This is kind of an old thread, but my issue is kind-of related.

Does anyone happen to know how to watch a Blu Ray DVD on TV using the HDMI?  The XPS m1530 recognizes the TV, but the movie plays on the laptop.  When I select "clone" mode so the laptop and TV show the same thing, the Blue Ray crashes out and says that clone isn't allowed.

This is EXTREMELY NON-USER-FRIENDLY.  Thank you Hollywood copyright police.  Satisfied?  Pirates are still making Blu Ray anyway, and your stupid policies are ONLY punishing ME and other users for BUYING your movies and EXPENSIVE Drives.

---------------------

EDIT: Figured out a little more. I set up on the NVIDIA control panel as two INDEPENDENT displays, then set resolution of Laptop display to 1280x800 and the TV to 1280x720.  Then I OPENED Media direct and dragged the playback window to the TV display, then maximized it.

I now have the movie on the TV and it looks great.  Unfortunately, I still have audio coming out of the Laptop and not the TV.  Any guidance on this point?

No Events found!