Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 14th, 2015 09:00

XPS 27 - disk read error occurred

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS One 2710 with a 2TB Sata non-RAID drive and a 32GB SSD.

This morning when I went to use my computer, it said "a disk read error occurred, press Ctrl+alt+del to recover".   Every time I do that I get the same error.  I ran diagnostics and it said everything was fine.

How can I fix this?  I am guessing I need a way to boot from the DVD drive and need a bootable DVD.  And then need a way to run a tool that can repair the drive.  I can't find the DVDs that came with computer (recently moved and in boxes). Is there some I can buy?  Any suggestions or other things to try?

Thanks,

mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

Hi Mike,

That error could pertain to either the HDD or the SSD. When you booted to the diagnostics, did the tests indicate that both drives are ok? If so, I would next try a utility such as SeaTools to test both drives. You should install it onto a flash drive and boot the system to the flash drive from the F12 menu.

If it's the SSD that's bad, then you'll need to change the BIOS setting to turn off caching. I believe in your system, the BIOS setting is RAID. Change that to AHCI and you should be able to boot to the HDD. But don't try this until you confirm the problem.

11 Posts

August 14th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.  Yes, both drives passed the diagnostic tests.  I also tried your suggestions of using SeatTools (for DOS) and the ran the short test on both drives and they both passed. 

Are there other things I should try?  Since it's an XPS One, I cant really open it up to check for loose connections, etc... 

Thanks,

Mike

11 Posts

August 14th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.  Yes, both drives passed the diagnostic tests.  I also tried your suggestions of using SeatTools (for DOS) and the ran the short test on both drives and they both passed. 

Are there other things I should try?  Since it's an XPS One, I cant really open it up to check for loose connections, etc... 

Thanks,

Mike

11 Posts

August 15th, 2015 10:00

Would having a Windows 7 Install DVD help in this situation?  Assuming it would, what is the best way to go about getting one so I can try running repair?  My system didnt come with one.  I am guessing I can also create a bootable flash drive if there is a way to get the ISO file.

Are there other diagnostic tools you would recommend I also try?

As a summary, my system wont boot.  Keeps telling me a disk read error occurred and to press ctrl+alt+del to restart.  I ran both the bot diagnostic and seatools (short and long tests) and neither found anything wrong.  I can boot off a flash drive (which is how I ran seatools).

Thanks,

Mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 16th, 2015 16:00

A disk read error is normally a hardware problem, but not necessarily with the hard drive. Have you tested other components?

11 Posts

August 17th, 2015 10:00

I ran the boot diagnostics and it checks a bunch of things and nothing showed up. Are there other tools you would recommend I try to help diagnose the problem? Would seatools or the boot diagnostic Find file corruption or mbr issues? Could that be one of the possible problems? Is there a way I can get a windows 7 ISO or cd from Dell (assuming that running repair could help)? Thanks Mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 17th, 2015 16:00

There used to be an ISO of the various Windows 7 versions but they've been taken down. Your best bet is to purchase a Dell Win 7 reinstallation disc from Ebay.

11 Posts

August 17th, 2015 16:00

I found another thread where it was suggested that the problem could be caused by not restarting your system after a windows update which could cause SSD cache to become corrupt.  It sounded like the solution was to temporarily disable the SSD cache.  Is this something I should explore?  If so, what are the steps to disable SSD? I am fine if I loose some data (ex documents recently updated).  Are there other risks to doing this?  

I have one other question.  I am trying to understand where in the boot process I get this error.  Is there a document or diagram which shows the sequence of things that happen at startup?  I get the error a few seconds after startup. Right after the Intel Rapid Storage Technology splash screen.  

Tech support told  me I should press F8 at boot but that doses seem to work.  I am guessing that I get the error before windows starts loading.  That is part of why I want to understand the sequence at start up.  

I will search ebay for the windows 7 cd.  

Thanks

Mike

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 20th, 2015 17:00

Yes, that's what I was saying in an earlier post. Boot to system setup (F2), and look for the SATA controller mode. In order to use the mSATA SSD as a cache, this setting should be RAID or possibly Intel Rapid Start. Change that to AHCI. Now the system will ignore the SSD and should boot directly from the hard drive. If you get a blue screen error, let me know. 

2 Posts

November 9th, 2020 06:00

Hi 

this solution is it useful with Dell XPS 14 Z ??

Thnx in advance 

No Events found!