Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2011 13:00

XPS 420 compatability Power DVD Ultra 9 & 10 Bluray?

Since my system was shipped have had never ending problems with playing bluray. First non play/crash issues solved with CD drive firmware update 2009. Now however with new AACS coding on some blurays, seems like back to the beginning with Cyberlink seemingly unable to come up with a fix. Have solved the AACS issue with AnyDVD but now those Blurays that do play, system crashes on pause/exit from disc.

Any ideas for this system crash but in the end, I wonder if this set up is actually bluray compatible or should I install a more modern video card or cd drive. If so which is best to try first?

PLDS DH-4B1S SATA HH 4X BD-RE - 2009 firmware is latest available apparently no longer supported by Dell

AMD Radion 2600 with latest 2011 update

Thanks

16 Posts

December 10th, 2011 06:00

After months and months of going in circles with Dell and Cyberlink, upgradind the graphics card form the ATI 2600xt to the 5670 solved all the problems

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 17th, 2011 06:00

Hi Kevinwt,

Yes, your system should be able to support blu ray. You might consider a free trial of one of those newer versions to see if it helps.

16 Posts

May 18th, 2011 13:00

Thanks for your mail. The strange thing is, you could be right as modern discs play just fine with all functionality once the AACS coding is disabled by AnyDVD and older discs play without AnyDVD with an older version of PowerDVD Ultra.

I tried installing the latest PowerDVD Ultra software and graphics card drivers but the AACS issue got worse in that all blurays require AnyDVD to play. In addition almost? every time the disc is paused/stopped/ejected the system freezes requiring a restart.

The reason for my post is that I had real problems playing some blurays prior to the 2009 firmware update for the disc player PLDS DH-4B1S SATA HH 4X BD-RE and immediately after the update everything was fine until the 'new' incryption started being used around the release of Avatar. So I am just wondering if this disc drive needs another firmware update again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 18th, 2011 15:00

That appears to be the most current version of the firmware for your drive.

I'm kind of short on ideas, I'm afraid.

No Events found!