fishnb
1 Copper

XPS 420 will not recognize either CD/DVD drives at startup

I have a Dell XPS 420 with two CD/DVD drives.  I recently put in a disk to use and it could not be read on either drive.  I then tried a different disk and had the same response.  I then used Device Driver tosee if there was problem and both drives have the yellow exclmaation point indicating a problem.  When I look at the drive's Properties, I got the following message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I haven't had an occassion to use the CD/DVD drives for about 3 weeks, but they worked fine then.  Something went wrong somewhere in that 3 week period, but I don't know when so I'm not able to use the Restore function to go back to when all was OK.  I don't believe it can be a drive HW problem since it seems to haave effected two separate drives at the same time.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what might have happened and what I can do to try to make work.   I tried telling the drive to upddate the Driver thinking this would install a new driver (or even the old one) and all would be OK, but there was no success. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: XPS 420 will not recognize either CD/DVD drives at startup

Hello,

Have you worked inside the system lately? Have you reinstalled Windows [Vista?] recently?

You can right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties" from the menu.

Click on the "Hardware" tab, and then on the "Device Manager" button.

Expand your 'DVD/CD' drives by clicking on the "+". Right click on each drive an choose "Uninstall".

Reboot the system and see if the system correctly sees the drives. emoticon.Yes.title

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

8 Krypton

Re: XPS 420 will not recognize either CD/DVD drives at startup

Try this article for Windows XP ...............

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Try this article for Windows Vista ...........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461

0 Kudos