Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 07:00

XPS 435MT SSD

Hi I'm trying to install a SSD for my XPS 435MT PC.  Samsung 830 series.  I need to but the PC in AHCI mode.  My bios only has SATA or Raid.  Dell tech support says to select SATA.  I select SATA in the bios disconnected all other HD and connect the SSD.  Did a clean install of windows 7. I saw no improvement in my system.  Ran window bench mark and should the same results as my hard drive. Ran Samsung Magician Software to optimize the drive and OS.  It keep reporting that PC was not in AHCI mode.  Is there another setting in the BIOS I missed.  Do I have to do a manual tweak to Windows 7.

8 Posts

December 4th, 2014 08:00

I use Crucial m500 - it works great - boot times are really fast with Win 8.1

43 Posts

OK - I read your post and questions.

So - it's been a while . . .

I'm not sure what I did to bomb my system.  I was installing an update of some software and the update didn't work as well so I was trying to go back to a restore point and crashed and couldn't boot.  I managed to get it back up but any reboots caused issues so I went with a clean install.  The cloning worked great up to that point - for well over a year - so your guess is as good as mine.  Most power users would recommend a clean install but I think you can get by with using paragon to clone.

To clarify - your system can use sata iii devices that are backward compatible - just not at optimum speeds.  Make sure the devices you are purchasing are backward compatible - most if not are (I think).  You just don't get optimum speeds - but you are right that it is a huge improvement.

I'm sure that the Crucial tech guy knows more than I do - I just know what worked for me.  Better safe than sorry, would be my recommendation.  The tech guy may not be familiar with the bios on your system - that you have to jump through hoops to get it to support an ssd.  Maybe that has something to do with installing the Intel driver?  The "why" is over my head.

I have the Corsair Neutron GTX 240 gb in my system.  It works great.  You might want to check out PCPartpicker and look at the SSD drives most people are buying (and the reviews).  That's the site that most people use when building a system.  I enjoy just browsing the build systems.

As far as overkill - you could get by with 120 gb for your operating system.  A lifehacker article recommneded that you put your operating system and key programs on the SSD and your data on a mechanical drive just for economy.  That said - if you might build a new system some day you will want to move that SSD over so If the $$s aren't an issue you might want to go up the ladder.

I don't think you would see a performance difference between brands of SSD drives on your current system as the SATA ii would be the bottleneck.

I guess my overall advice would be to follow the cloning directions religiously using paragon keeping the clean install as an option if you have issues.  I would definitely create a boot disk just in case.  

I think you would also have to create windows install disks if you want to use your current license if you do a clean install - I didn't do that - I put out the dollars for a new license.  You should be able to avoid that cost by thinking ahead.

By the way - have you thought about using an external blueray drive?  I use an old PS3 connected directly to my receiver (that connects to my TV).  I also run netflix and amazon through the PS3.  Most new blueray players offer the same network functions.

Sorry for the rambling - I just got an email from UPS and the parts for my new build will be delivered tomorrow.  

Thanks! Glad to hear things are still working for you.

Do you attribute the glitches to something with the migration? Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Windows 7.1 = Windows 7 SP1?

Yes, I'm aware that most systems (including the 435MT) won't be able to take advantage of SATA III devices. Still, it's my understanding that my system should see a dramatic performance increase.

The original link I provided to my forum post was corrupt; I have corrected it. Appreciate any comments on my drive bay situation as well as Crucial's tech support questioning the need for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver. Sorry for splitting this conversation into a separate thread; I wasn't sure anyone from the original thread was still active on the forum.

May I ask what SSD brands you recommend? With this system, is a Samsung EVO overkill compared to (say) a Crucial MX100 or M500?

Thanks for the additional information.

The Crucial tech support guy recommended trying the system without installing the Intel drive update. He said Windows comes with an earlier version of the driver and that, in his opinion, he saw no benefit to installing the updated driver--unless I encounter problems. May I ask what prompted you to install the (updated) driver? From your steps, it sounds as though you thought your system wouldn't boot without it being installed.

Not sure why, but the Windows 'Create System Restore CD' app is crashing on my system. I definitely won't proceed until I've successfully resolved that issue!

I want to add a Blu-ray drive to this system so that I can rip content from a few of the discs (that I own!) to my media server (a glorified PC with lots of drive space).

Have fun with building your new system!

December 4th, 2014 09:00

Can you elaborate on your Step 4: Enabled RAID (F2 during reboot)? Is it the BIOS's Advanced Chipset Features > SATA Mode setting? i.e., change it from ATA to RAID?

BTW, the BIOS's Standard CMOS Features page shows my four SATA devices (two HDDs, DVD, DVD-RW). (It also shows eSATA as "Not Detected".) Does that mean I'll need to remove a device so as to detect the SSD?

43 Posts

December 4th, 2014 09:00

I installed the Intel driver on the advice of others in this forum (or other forums) - I can't recall the justification.  Just know it worked.  :)

By the way - I use JRiver as my media server on my HTPC.  I record over-the-air and play my music using jriver through my receiver in the front room.  Getting all my CDs in flac format - slowly.

I used mediaportal for a while.  I started with microsoft media center.  I really like JRiver.

43 Posts

December 4th, 2014 11:00

Chris I'm traveling today and don't have access to my PC.  I'll open up the bios when I get back on Friday.

Have to drive fast tomorrow - UPS is coming!

December 5th, 2014 16:00

Understood, thanks. I look forward to your reply.

43 Posts

December 6th, 2014 08:00

OK - I'm back at my PC.

Yes - in Advanced Chipset Settings I have the SATA Mode set to RAID.  That will give you the AHCI functionality you need for the SSD.

You don't actually put your hard disks into a RAID - you just enable RAID so you get AHCI.

Yes - it does look like you have all your sata ports in use.

See the following links for a more complete discussion of IDE and AHCI and the Intel drivers. Please note that forum member HOKU is very knowledgeable but my experience is that the process is a little easier than he conveys if you follow the steps I outlined on the forum.

tomshardware.com/forum/291675-32-435mt-general-install-advice-sata-controller

tomshardware.com/answers/id-1846804/intel-matrix-storage-manager-rst.html

Lastly - I'm a little concerned that your dvd and dvd-r/w may not work when you enable RAID as all SATA ports will be switched to AHCI.  I think your devices use IDE.  I use an external dvd r/w.

Good luck!

December 6th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Argh. So this model supports only four SATA devices. I wonder if there's a way to expand it? I suppose if I'm replacing one of my HDDs then I really don't need an additional port.

I hadn't considered that my internal DVD drives may no longer work. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. OTOH, that would free up two SATA ports.   ;)

December 6th, 2014 15:00

I'm taking baby steps here, but  I changed the BIOS to use RAID, then I rebooted. A 'matrix storage' menu appeared, listing the two HDDs. This was quickly replaced with the standard boot menu displaying the HDDs and the internal DVD drives. I am able to boot the Windows Repair Disc using either DVD drive. Not sure if that indicates Windows will see the DVD drives, too.

Obviously, I haven't migrated the OS to the SSD yet. I haven't even installed the SSD yet. 

I changed the BIOS back to use ATA. I haven't yet installed the Microsoft Fit It nor the latest Intel RST driver. If I install those two items will I still be able to boot off the HDD, temporarily?

43 Posts

December 6th, 2014 16:00

I hope you are having fun!

When you get ready to install the operating system on the SSD be sure to follow the order as outlined in the instructions or not-so-good things can happen.

If you do a clean install you will want to disconnect your hard drives prior to install or windows can get confused during install.

Sounds like you know how to get back to step one so that's a good thing if you are going to experiment.

December 6th, 2014 16:00

Oh yeah, fun!

I'm curious; not that it's my intention, but what would be the effect of installing the Microsoft Fix It and the Intel RST, changing to RAID, but continuing to use just an HDD?

43 Posts

December 6th, 2014 17:00

My guess is that your HD with your operating system that was installed when the Bios was set to IDE would not boot if you changed your bios to enable RAID.  

I think you would have to change your Bios to Raid and then clean install your operating system to your hard disk for the operating system on the hard disk to boot under RAID.

Your hard disks that you use for data might work without any changes - I think they would.  I don't remember that I reformatted my data disks and reloaded.  There is nothing in my notes to that effect.

By the way - it's a good practice to keep notes when you're diving into something this complicated.  Three months later it all gets hazy.

December 6th, 2014 17:00

Hmm. Now I'm a bit confused. Your steps say to run the Microsoft Fix It, install the Intel controller and drivers, (reboot), enable RAID, (power down), install the SSD, (boot into Windows on the HDD), and then use the Paragon software. The HDD would need to boot in that configuration (i.e., RAID) so as to be able to run that software, wouldn't it? (I realize it's been quite a while since you performed these steps.)

Did you have to initialize the SSD using Windows 7's Disk Management applet? If so, did you select MBR (the default) or GPT?

BTW, I believe the Intel controller and software is now known as the Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID Driver. According to Intel Download Center, the latest version is 13.2.4.1000.

No Events found!