Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 07:00

XPS 435MT SSD

Hi I'm trying to install a SSD for my XPS 435MT PC.  Samsung 830 series.  I need to but the PC in AHCI mode.  My bios only has SATA or Raid.  Dell tech support says to select SATA.  I select SATA in the bios disconnected all other HD and connect the SSD.  Did a clean install of windows 7. I saw no improvement in my system.  Ran window bench mark and should the same results as my hard drive. Ran Samsung Magician Software to optimize the drive and OS.  It keep reporting that PC was not in AHCI mode.  Is there another setting in the BIOS I missed.  Do I have to do a manual tweak to Windows 7.

43 Posts

December 6th, 2014 20:00

Hummmmm - does sound like I'm not following my old plans.

I'll look at this in the morning with a clear head - bottom line, follow the steps in my old posting while it was all still fresh.

Getting old and gray . . . .

December 7th, 2014 11:00

Still in baby step mode, I disconnected one of my DVD drives, connected my SSD, and then booted from my HDD--still not having run the Microsoft Fix It nor installing the Intel RST. Then I used Windows 7's Disk Management applet to initialize the SSD. Lastly, I used the 'Migrate Windows to SSD' tool within the free version of EaseUS Partition Manager (as per an excellent Lifehacker article) to copy the contents of my C: drive to the SSD. I want to see what happens when I attempt to boot the SSD without first installing the Fix It and the RST.

Next, I powered off my PC, disconnected the HDD, connected the SSD, powered on the PC, changed the BIOS to RAID, and rebooted. The Intel Matrix Storage Manager appeared but was then immediately replaced with an odd message:

CD-ROM Boot Priority ..No Medium
No boot device available
SATA 0 : Installed
SATA 1 : Installed
SATA 2 : Installed
SATA 3 : None

No matter which key I press, the same text appeared.

I rebooted, pressed F12, and (after the Intel Matrix Storage Manager briefly appeared) was presented with a boot device menu. The remaining DVD and the RAID:SSD (in that order) were listed. When I selected the SSD, the same CD-ROM and SATA message immediately appeared.

I went into the BIOS' Boot Device Configuration, selected Hard Disk Boot Priority, selected the SSD as the 1st Drive, (on the Boot Device Configuration) selected the SSD as the 1st Boot Device, and then rebooted. I got the same immediate results as above. The DVD is still listed before the RAID:SSD device.

I'm stumped as to why the SSD isn't working. It's not even getting to the point of trying to load Windows -- so the lack of the Microsoft Fix It and the Intel RST don't appear to be a factor, at least not at this point. The Windows Repair Disc wasn't able to resolve the problem, either; it doesn't list any operating systems to repair.

I reconnected the HDD and (after changing the BIOS back to ATA and undoing the boot device configuration) successfully booted into Windows. So I'm back where I started.  :)  I can't help but think I didn't correctly set up something on the SSD prior to migrating the HDD content to it.

December 7th, 2014 20:00

After spending *way* too much time trying to migrate the OS from the HDD to the SSD, I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD, instead. I'll use the larger of the two HDDs as my data drive...and remove the other HDD.

>>5. Installed the SSD (C Drive) in the 0 slot and moved the HD (F Drive) to extra slot.  The 3.5 bracket provided by Corsair doesn't match the frame - I ended up using tape to supplement the bracket as suggested in another forum.

HB2: May I ask where you installed your SSD? In the bay where DVD drives are placed -- or in the area where HDD0 and HDD1 are typically placed? I need to install it where the HDDs are typically placed. Is that possible? My HDD is mounted to the case via screws that go directly into the bottom (not the side) of the drive. I don't see a way to mount the SSD in such a way.

43 Posts

December 7th, 2014 21:00

I can't remember which bay - but I don't think it matters so long as your cables reach.

I ended up using double sided tape to attach it to the bay - not elegant, but I don't move the pc around much.  The double sided tape has worked well for over two years.

Any method of adhering it would probably work well.

The parts for my new build arrive tomorrow - after a delay when the van wasn't unloaded in Portland - big sigh - so I'll be tearing up my old system in the morning.

Wish me luck!

December 9th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for the suggestion. There are various kinds of double-sided tape. I'd prefer to use a kind that doesn't deface the SSD (call me OCD). May I ask what kind you used?

I wonder if I could wrap two straps of velcro around the drive and then attach the wrapped drive to additional velcro strips adhered to the underside of the HDD bay?

43 Posts

December 9th, 2014 07:00

I think I actually used some red electrician's tape - I just pulled it off when I moved my SSD to my new build.  Unless you move your PC it does't matter much.

I hope all is progressing for you.  I spent most of yesterday afternoon putting together my new system - and surprise surprise - everything worked first time!  My biggest problem is a striped screw that is supposed to hold down the m.2 SSD.  You have to remove it, install the SSD, then put it back in.  Not critical, but I'm going to have to figure out how to get it out of there.  I'm thinking I can use  needle nose pliers to turn it and get it lose but is a little scary to use brute force on a screw that goes into the mother board..

Have fun - I just need to play with my sound/video out to my receiver/TV and I'll be good.

12 Posts

March 8th, 2015 14:00

I would ask what pci card I must buy to have SATA 3, and If i can install a 2.5 inch SSD Crucial 500gb (what model number?).

Thanks

12 Posts

March 8th, 2015 15:00

I'm not able to change a motherboard..i've no experience in this matter of things, in fact i ask you what cable I must buy to connect a ssd 2.5 (no bay as it is) :-)

I want to clone my hard disk to ssd and leave my original as secondary archive storage.How i must configure bios to do this?

43 Posts

March 8th, 2015 15:00

From what I've read in the forums it doesn't sound like it is worth the cost to install a pci card.  Take a look in the forums.

Without the pci card you will only get SATA 2 speed, but that still will be a huge improvement.  It's my understanding that the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 will only show up when loading larger files, where SATA 2 speed does bottleneck.  Most of your disk access is random access of small files, where there is little difference.

I don't believe that the size of your SSD will matter - you should be able to install any SSD as per the directions in this thread.

I found it easiest to use paragon software to clone my old boot drive to the SSD.  I ran into  issues with a clean install of windows 7, mostly because of the install of drivers during the install process.  If you are going to do a clean install of the operating system take the time to read about having your drivers available at the right point in the install.

Another alternative you could look at is to purchase a new motherboard.  They aren't that expensive and it isn't that hard to install a motherboard, but you would also need to purchase a new copy of the windows operating system as the Dell license is specific to your current motherboard.  Make sure the motherboard is compatible with your cpu if you go that route.

I have a new build, but I still have my Dell studio running with a ssd and a GTX 750 TI video card, which is perfect for this older system and has low power requirements.  Runs great.

Good luck!

43 Posts

March 8th, 2015 17:00

I just stumbled on some detailed directions using freeware to clone over on the Lifehacker website.  Just google "lifehacker how to migrate to a solid state drive".  (I don't seem to be able to post the address for the article - must not be allowed in the forum.)

Follow the directions above (#2 and #3 to enable RAID) then follow the directions in Lifehacker to clone your operating system.

I hope that helps.

43 Posts

March 8th, 2015 17:00

Given that this is rather new to you, I would recommend that you purchase paragon software as it will take care of partitioning issues during the clone.  (Just google paragon clone ssd.)  I've used it twice.  It is very easy - if you are a typical pc user you could follow the directions.  (Just google paragon clone ssd.)  It costs about $20.

There may be some freeware out there that you could use to clone but would probably require a higher level of technical skill.  You would need to find some good guides online or a good friend who has cloned a hard drive.

Or you could go to Staples or Best Buy and get them to clone to the SSD.  I think Staples charges about $50.

Here are my notes from when I cloned (from earlier in this thread).

1. Backed up to an external hard drive and made a boot CD. (Just to be safe.)

2. Ran Microsoft Fix it 50470 to make the registry changes.  Must do prior to next steps.  support.microsoft.com/.../922976  Very important.

3. Enabled RAID (F2 during reboot - then look for the menu item that allows you to select RAID).

4. Installed the SSD (C Drive) in the 0 slot and moved the HD (F Drive) to extra slot.  The 3.5 bracket provided by Corsair doesn't match the frame - I ended up using tape to supplement the bracket as suggested in another forum.  Note what cable is attached you to your current hard drive.  You will use that same type cable for the SSD.  I'm pretty sure you already have enough cables for both drives.  Take a digital photo of the existing cable/hard drive if you think you might get confused.

6. Used Paragon to migrate - worked like a charm - worth the $20.  Did not move music, video, photos, or documents to leave maximum space on SSD.  Migration takes a couple of hours.

7. Changed boot order to make sure SSD was first. (F2 during reboot)

8. Defined the location for documents, music, photos, videos (eg right click on My Photos and move location to F Drive where my photos are now located).

9. Made sure Media Center knew where libraries were located - it took a while for MC to re-index photos, etc.

10. Adjusted settings on a few programs that pointed to C for data when data was on F.

That's pretty much what you need.  Just go slow and don't take shortcuts unless you really, really know what you are doing.

Good luck!

12 Posts

March 9th, 2015 05:00

Thanks for your explanations, but to connect ssd I use the same cables connected now to my hard disk, or I must buy something else?

12 Posts

March 9th, 2015 09:00

I've already opened the case, and I noticed power cable and sata cable attached to hard disk and cd/dvd writer, so I want to add a the original hard disk as secondary drive, I must buy another cable (what?), or detach that connected to cd/dvd writer.Right?

But you said that putting RAID in bios can create problems with cd writer, so you use an external dvd reader.

43 Posts

March 9th, 2015 09:00

Open up your case and look at your hard disk.  You will see two connecting cabless.  You will use the same cables for your SSD.

I didn't have to purchase additonal cables so you should be fine.

There are lots of images on the web if you google SSD cables.

43 Posts

March 9th, 2015 10:00

I could take a digital photo of my connections and send you if that would be helpful.

I now recall that I had purchased a new psu  when I added a video card and an audio card, so maybe I do have more cables than the original psu.

No Events found!