Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 07:00

XPS 435MT SSD

Hi I'm trying to install a SSD for my XPS 435MT PC.  Samsung 830 series.  I need to but the PC in AHCI mode.  My bios only has SATA or Raid.  Dell tech support says to select SATA.  I select SATA in the bios disconnected all other HD and connect the SSD.  Did a clean install of windows 7. I saw no improvement in my system.  Ran window bench mark and should the same results as my hard drive. Ran Samsung Magician Software to optimize the drive and OS.  It keep reporting that PC was not in AHCI mode.  Is there another setting in the BIOS I missed.  Do I have to do a manual tweak to Windows 7.

43 Posts

March 9th, 2015 10:00

That's right - my cd/dvd would not work after I enabled RAID.  The cd/dvd is an ide device and enabling RAID moves you to ahci that's required for the SSD (so TRIM works).

An external cd/dvd will work just fine as it will be on usb.

Maybe I used the cables from the cd/dvd, but I don't think so.  I think there were enough connections.  (It's been a while :) )

In any event, you can disconnect the cd/dvd as you won't be able to use it when you switch to ahci.  I did disconnect the cd/dvd.

12 Posts

March 9th, 2015 10:00

A photo will be great, to have the security that i connect the cables from the right places :-)

43 Posts

March 9th, 2015 11:00

OK - I'll try to get to that this afternoon.

Looks like I can add an attachment in this forum - so that should work.

43 Posts

March 9th, 2015 15:00

Here is the first photo of the SDD and HD - note that the SATA connection is the smaller - also called serial ata

close up of sdd

sdd and Hd connections

sata connections on main board

Note that one cable has multiple power connections that you can use.

You need two separate sata connection cables

1 Attachment

12 Posts

Thank hou very much, maybe you have uploaded the same photo, but i understood the same, it was how i imagined.

If i want to buy another sata connection cable, i must search a particular model (ide/sata sata/sata boh..)?

43 Posts

Here is a better photo of the SSD connections.

1 Attachment

43 Posts

Here is the second photo of the SDD and HD - note that the SATA connection is the smaller - also called serial ata

sdd and Hd connections

Note that one cable has multiple power connections that you can use.

You need two separate sata connection cables

1 Attachment

43 Posts

Here is the third photo of the  sata connections on the mother board - 

1 Attachment

43 Posts

March 9th, 2015 16:00

I'm not sure about purchasing another SATA cable.  Guys at bestbuy or radio shack could help you.  Just make sure they know you have SATA 2 (not SATA 3).  Not sure that matters - probably doesn't.

You probably could buy a cable for a lot less on amazon if you are confident that your are picking the right cable.  Otherwise use a local computer store to get assistance.

Good luck!

158 Posts

March 13th, 2015 11:00

problem booting maybe is: from wikipedia 

Boot issues[edit]

Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the SATA-drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot, with an error message, if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode. For this reason, Intel recommends changing the drive controller to AHCI or RAID before installing an operating system

I did a clean install, perhaps the reason no issues with boot.  Wonder what/if the repercussions will be. Make sure TRIM is enabled.

From CMD prompt:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

67 Posts

March 13th, 2015 13:00

That Microsoft fix allowed me to boot into Windows even with RAID set in the BIOS.

However, Samsung Magician software is still telling me that AHCI is not enabled. There is no difference in performance between RAID and ATA that I can notice.

Edit: After this I was able to install Intel RST. Without this fix, it would not install (not supported platform).

67 Posts

So, my SSD and HDD are both plugged in and BIOS set to RAID.

Microsoft fix was needed.

Intel RST is installed.

Samsung Magician still says that AHCI is disabled.

I don't see any performance difference between RAID and ATA modes.

Nevertheless there is huge performance improvement in the instance of Windows running on the SSD compared to the one on HDD. I just booted into the other by mistake and noticed this immediately.

67 Posts

DisableDeleteNotify = 0

I checked now.

43 Posts

March 13th, 2015 14:00

It sounds like you did the command to test for trim and it returned a 0 - so you should be OK.

You might want to contact Samsung and ask them about the Samsung Magician software.  Explain that you did the DisableDeleteNotify and got 0, and ask why Magician is giving your conflicting info.

Again - if you got 0, you should be OK - at least that's my understanding.

158 Posts

March 13th, 2015 15:00

Just curious, what does your device manager say?  After my install, with RAID (or AHCI) the device manager no longer shows IDE ATA/ATAPI controller but does now show instead Storage Controllers | Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller.

No Events found!