Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 07:00

XPS 435MT SSD

Hi I'm trying to install a SSD for my XPS 435MT PC.  Samsung 830 series.  I need to but the PC in AHCI mode.  My bios only has SATA or Raid.  Dell tech support says to select SATA.  I select SATA in the bios disconnected all other HD and connect the SSD.  Did a clean install of windows 7. I saw no improvement in my system.  Ran window bench mark and should the same results as my hard drive. Ran Samsung Magician Software to optimize the drive and OS.  It keep reporting that PC was not in AHCI mode.  Is there another setting in the BIOS I missed.  Do I have to do a manual tweak to Windows 7.

67 Posts

August 9th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for your continuation.

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify returns a zero. So, TRIM is still enabled even after upgrading to Windows 10.

Now, I am wondering if I should do a clean install of Windows 7 or 10 on the SSD.

I will have to probably backup my entire HDD to another disk, just to be on the safer side and backup all my application data from C drive as well.

Then I am not sure how the activation of Windows will work, since I upgraded from Vista to 7 and then to 10 (all legitimate)

Maybe it is worth a shot to try and install Windows 10 and punch in the Windows 7 key if it prompts for it. This would be on the C drive (SSD) and without RAID array configuration, but just setting the BIOS into RAID mode.

Will see what the results are.

158 Posts

August 11th, 2015 15:00

Yes make sure you have good backups, then can Clean install Windows 10 if you like.

Your copy of Windows 10 should have been registered on the Microsoft servers during the upgrade process & you won't have to worry about inputting a product key.  I have yet to do this myself.  That Windows 7 product key will not work to activate Windows 10.  It will only be used if you install Windows 7 again.

Then as you said make sure BIOS in RAID & perform clean install.

I would go to tenforums.com & read the tutorials there regarding "Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation" & "Windows 10 - Clean Install".

Good Luck

I'll be doing the same in a few months

67 Posts

August 14th, 2015 22:00

So, I decided to try a clean Windows 10 install on the same machine.

About product key: I had used a key finder tool to pull out the key in case Windows 10 asks for it. I also had my Windows 7 key handy with me.

None of the keys worked. Windows 10 got activated in the background transparently.

So, I put my BIOS in RAID mode and booted from my USB pen drive which had my Windows 10 installable files.

Installation took less than 30 minutes. During this, I got an option to upgrade or do a clean install. I chose clean install and formatted my SSD.

All went well and I was up and running. The sound problem was still there and the fix was the same as discussed in the other thread.

Now, Samsung Magician 4.6 is still the latest. I downloaded that and guess what: It still tells me AHCI mode is deactivated and it is unable to detect SATA interface details.

If I head over to Device Manager from Control Panel, I do see: Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller.

So, I am guessing something is wrong with Samsung Magician.

Now the sad part is that for my 850 Evo SSD, sequential read and write values are below 285 (it is expected to be around 500).

Windows 10 reports: DisableDeleteNotify = 0

So, I am back to square one.

158 Posts

August 15th, 2015 07:00

Before attempting another clean install you might try a Reset -look at this How to Reset Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by  Kyhi  View Post
if you download the ISO - you can use that ISO to UPGRADE the non-internet pc
you MUST do it as an UPGRADE at first - to get a windows 10 activation..

After the windows 10 activation is recorded - then you can do a Clean Install on that PC..

If you want a clean install after you upgrade - the easiest way is to RESET your PC and save nothing..

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I noticed that , it's a heck of a lot easier than doing a clean install the old fashioned way . I don't see why it would be any different .

158 Posts

August 15th, 2015 07:00

During the Windows 10 upgrade it should have registered your copy of Windows on the Microsoft servers. Doubt you can pull the Key using a key finder or more specifically be able activate Windows that way.

The two tenforum tutorials above explain a lot.

The XPS 435MT is a SATA II machine = 300 MB/s fastest possible.

Probably best to go to Samsung forum for info on Magician.

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2020 09:00

Thank you so much for this post (https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/XPS-435MT-SSD/m-p/4003661/highlight/true#M320518), which got me on the right track, but I have Win 10 Pro, which makes it so much easier, because Win 10 finds the drivers itself:

On a XPS 435 MT with Win 10 Pro installed with SATA controller set to IDE on BIOS (normal setup for this old, beautiful hardware, with PCIE II, SATA II, but still awesome) ...

Start Win 10

Start>Command Prompt>right click>Run as admin>msconfig>Boot tab>check Safe boot 

exit (next boot will be in safe mode)

Shutdown 

Restart and hit F2 during DELL splash screen to go to BIOS

Change controller from IDE to RAID (we're not going to format RAID disks, only to have access to AHCI drivers, this BIOS does not have AHCI option but RAID driver does the trick)

F10 to exit BIOS, let WIN 10 start in safe mode, it will load the Intel drivers by itself!

Start>Command Prompt>right click>Run as admin>msconfig>Boot>check Normal startup 

exit (next boot will be a normal boot)

Reboot as normal

Just in case, let's make sure TRIM is enabled:

Start>Command Prompt>right click>Run as admin>fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

exit

Shutdown, restart, then again just in case, shutdown, restart. 

Now use "AS-SSD-Benchmark" to make sure AHCI is working:

See pciide-BAD in red color means AHCI not working before the fix. 

pciide-BAD in red means no AHCI, score 229pciide-BAD in red means no AHCI, score 229

See iaStorAVC-OK in green color means AHCI is working after the fix. 

iaStorAVC-OK means AHCI is on, overall 602iaStorAVC-OK means AHCI is on, overall 602

I don't know if CPU makes a difference but the scores are with an i7-975 (Upgraded earlier, $45 on eBay, super easy mod, 25% improvement over the stock i7-920. LOL)

No Events found!