8 Krypton

RE: XPS 435MT SSD

Jump to solution

I hope you are having fun!

When you get ready to install the operating system on the SSD be sure to follow the order as outlined in the instructions or not-so-good things can happen.

If you do a clean install you will want to disconnect your hard drives prior to install or windows can get confused during install.

Sounds like you know how to get back to step one so that's a good thing if you are going to experiment.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Oh yeah, fun!

I'm curious; not that it's my intention, but what would be the effect of installing the Microsoft Fix It and the Intel RST, changing to RAID, but continuing to use just an HDD?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

My guess is that your HD with your operating system that was installed when the Bios was set to IDE would not boot if you changed your bios to enable RAID.  

I think you would have to change your Bios to Raid and then clean install your operating system to your hard disk for the operating system on the hard disk to boot under RAID.

Your hard disks that you use for data might work without any changes - I think they would.  I don't remember that I reformatted my data disks and reloaded.  There is nothing in my notes to that effect.

By the way - it's a good practice to keep notes when you're diving into something this complicated.  Three months later it all gets hazy.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hmm. Now I'm a bit confused. Your steps say to run the Microsoft Fix It, install the Intel controller and drivers, (reboot), enable RAID, (power down), install the SSD, (boot into Windows on the HDD), and then use the Paragon software. The HDD would need to boot in that configuration (i.e., RAID) so as to be able to run that software, wouldn't it? (I realize it's been quite a while since you performed these steps.)

Did you have to initialize the SSD using Windows 7's Disk Management applet? If so, did you select MBR (the default) or GPT?

BTW, I believe the Intel controller and software is now known as the Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID Driver. According to Intel Download Center, the latest version is 13.2.4.1000.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hummmmm - does sound like I'm not following my old plans.

I'll look at this in the morning with a clear head - bottom line, follow the steps in my old posting while it was all still fresh.

Getting old and gray . . . .

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Still in baby step mode, I disconnected one of my DVD drives, connected my SSD, and then booted from my HDD--still not having run the Microsoft Fix It nor installing the Intel RST. Then I used Windows 7's Disk Management applet to initialize the SSD. Lastly, I used the 'Migrate Windows to SSD' tool within the free version of EaseUS Partition Manager (as per an excellent Lifehacker article) to copy the contents of my C: drive to the SSD. I want to see what happens when I attempt to boot the SSD without first installing the Fix It and the RST.

Next, I powered off my PC, disconnected the HDD, connected the SSD, powered on the PC, changed the BIOS to RAID, and rebooted. The Intel Matrix Storage Manager appeared but was then immediately replaced with an odd message:

CD-ROM Boot Priority ..No Medium
No boot device available
SATA 0 : Installed
SATA 1 : Installed
SATA 2 : Installed
SATA 3 : None

No matter which key I press, the same text appeared.

I rebooted, pressed F12, and (after the Intel Matrix Storage Manager briefly appeared) was presented with a boot device menu. The remaining DVD and the RAID:SSD (in that order) were listed. When I selected the SSD, the same CD-ROM and SATA message immediately appeared.

I went into the BIOS' Boot Device Configuration, selected Hard Disk Boot Priority, selected the SSD as the 1st Drive, (on the Boot Device Configuration) selected the SSD as the 1st Boot Device, and then rebooted. I got the same immediate results as above. The DVD is still listed before the RAID:SSD device.

I'm stumped as to why the SSD isn't working. It's not even getting to the point of trying to load Windows -- so the lack of the Microsoft Fix It and the Intel RST don't appear to be a factor, at least not at this point. The Windows Repair Disc wasn't able to resolve the problem, either; it doesn't list any operating systems to repair.

I reconnected the HDD and (after changing the BIOS back to ATA and undoing the boot device configuration) successfully booted into Windows. So I'm back where I started.  🙂  I can't help but think I didn't correctly set up something on the SSD prior to migrating the HDD content to it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

After spending *way* too much time trying to migrate the OS from the HDD to the SSD, I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD, instead. I'll use the larger of the two HDDs as my data drive...and remove the other HDD.

>>5. Installed the SSD (C Drive) in the 0 slot and moved the HD (F Drive) to extra slot.  The 3.5 bracket provided by Corsair doesn't match the frame - I ended up using tape to supplement the bracket as suggested in another forum.

HB2: May I ask where you installed your SSD? In the bay where DVD drives are placed -- or in the area where HDD0 and HDD1 are typically placed? I need to install it where the HDDs are typically placed. Is that possible? My HDD is mounted to the case via screws that go directly into the bottom (not the side) of the drive. I don't see a way to mount the SSD in such a way.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I can't remember which bay - but I don't think it matters so long as your cables reach.

I ended up using double sided tape to attach it to the bay - not elegant, but I don't move the pc around much.  The double sided tape has worked well for over two years.

Any method of adhering it would probably work well.

The parts for my new build arrive tomorrow - after a delay when the van wasn't unloaded in Portland - big sigh - so I'll be tearing up my old system in the morning.

Wish me luck!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. There are various kinds of double-sided tape. I'd prefer to use a kind that doesn't deface the SSD (call me OCD). May I ask what kind you used?

I wonder if I could wrap two straps of velcro around the drive and then attach the wrapped drive to additional velcro strips adhered to the underside of the HDD bay?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I think I actually used some red electrician's tape - I just pulled it off when I moved my SSD to my new build.  Unless you move your PC it does't matter much.

I hope all is progressing for you.  I spent most of yesterday afternoon putting together my new system - and surprise surprise - everything worked first time!  My biggest problem is a striped screw that is supposed to hold down the m.2 SSD.  You have to remove it, install the SSD, then put it back in.  Not critical, but I'm going to have to figure out how to get it out of there.  I'm thinking I can use  needle nose pliers to turn it and get it lose but is a little scary to use brute force on a screw that goes into the mother board..

Have fun - I just need to play with my sound/video out to my receiver/TV and I'll be good.

0 Kudos