8 Krypton

RE: XPS 435MT SSD

Jump to solution

The windows fix discussed in the forum allows you to change to RAID after install.  At least that's my understanding.

support.microsoft.com/.../922976

If RAID isn't enabled you won't have AHCI - which means you don't have trim.  So you have to find a way to get RAID enabled.  The Fix at the above link should allow you to enable RAID and then boot into windows 7.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

DisableDeleteNotify = 0

I checked now.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

That Microsoft fix allowed me to boot into Windows even with RAID set in the BIOS.

However, Samsung Magician software is still telling me that AHCI is not enabled. There is no difference in performance between RAID and ATA that I can notice.

Edit: After this I was able to install Intel RST. Without this fix, it would not install (not supported platform).

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

So, my SSD and HDD are both plugged in and BIOS set to RAID.

Microsoft fix was needed.

Intel RST is installed.

Samsung Magician still says that AHCI is disabled.

I don't see any performance difference between RAID and ATA modes.

Nevertheless there is huge performance improvement in the instance of Windows running on the SSD compared to the one on HDD. I just booted into the other by mistake and noticed this immediately.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

It sounds like you did the command to test for trim and it returned a 0 - so you should be OK.

You might want to contact Samsung and ask them about the Samsung Magician software.  Explain that you did the DisableDeleteNotify and got 0, and ask why Magician is giving your conflicting info.

Again - if you got 0, you should be OK - at least that's my understanding.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Just curious, what does your device manager say?  After my install, with RAID (or AHCI) the device manager no longer shows IDE ATA/ATAPI controller but does now show instead Storage Controllers | Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Sorry - I just sold my Dell Studio to pay for GTX 970 for my new build.  Buyer just picked it up.

Sorry to see it go - I had done so many upgrades that I came to have a sentimental attachment to it.

But it is going to a good home - running a 3d printer in DIY shop.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

My question was to argvargc, but glad to hear you're on to a new build.

Been building (on paper) a new PC myself.  Thinking about taking the new(er) PSU, GPU & SSD out of the XPS & turning my 435MT into a server using old PSU & HD('s).

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Good idea.  I was going in that direction and then I got the bug.  Put everything back into 435mt and started from scratch.

Lots of fun.

0 Kudos
failax
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I've managed to install Windows 10 on a Crucial mx100 512 gb with a clean install.Before I tried with no success with a cloned partition of the previous non raid installation.I've also attached the old hard disk as secondary device, I've not formatted it, it seems to be working.