Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2013 08:00

XPS 8100 and 4 tb drive

Should a Dell Studio XPS 8100 recognize a 4 tb internal hard drive? Win 7 64-bit Pro recognizes the secondary drive (gpt) as under just 2 tb.

1.5K Posts

May 7th, 2013 09:00

Hi birdwoman,

If you are running Windows 7 x64, you may be able to use a 4TB as an internal data disk (not as a boot disk) i.e. connect the disk as second internal disk and initialize it as GPT, not as MBR.

Dell Studio XPS 8100 is not compatible with UEFI. So, a GPT boot disk cannot be used for booting in OS. AFAIK, an MBR disk can only access 2 TB disks. I did some research and found a work around that you may try.

Western Digital overcomes this on PRE UEFI bios systems with 64 Bit OS and a system with 1 free PCI-E X1 slot. Over 2 TB requires a 64 bit OS and Bios extension via controller. The controller they use is made by Highpoint. HighPoint RocketRAID 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a0p06nmeC3A

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 7th, 2013 09:00

Should a Dell Studio XPS 8100 recognize a 4 tb internal hard drive? Win 7 64-bit Pro recognizes the secondary drive (gpt) as under just 2 tb.

It should, but it might not. If it does not, a third-party SATA card will recognize it.

I tested a 4tb Seagate with an old Dimension 3100 and it was fully recognized.

1 Message

February 24th, 2014 13:00

Good afternoon, this procedure does not work. I have a 4TB WD drive and I purchased a Sata card as per the instructions. I have a XPS 8100 i7 with 14GB memory. I have a 1TB boot drive and a 2nd 1TB internal drive for storage. I connected the new Sata card as instructed and the new drivers for the card, the card is recognized, I install the 4TB internal storage drive and remove the 1TB internal storage drive. I then make all the connections as in the video and the 4TB drive is not recognized. When I disco the sata cable and reboot the 4TB drive is now 1.8TB. What do I need to do to make this work?? Thanks you

No Events found!