Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2016 21:00

XPS 8300 - Steps to install replacement boot hard drive

So my original Dell hard drive has to be replaced because it's been giving me errors and it's clearly failing. If I get a new hard drive, I know how to mount it in the case and attach the cables. Do I just turn the computer on with the System Recovery Disk that I previously created? Do I need the "Drivers and Utilties" disk that came with the computer? I've previously asked Dell for the Windows 7 disk but they never sent it (that was 4 years ago). I assume that the System Recovery Disk should be sufficient. Any support or suggestions would be appreciated before I take the plunge.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2016 05:00

Hi Nively,

Using that recovery disc, you'll be installing the Dell factory hard drive image onto the new hard drive. So you'll have all the original drivers and applications. Of course, you'll then need to uninstall any software you don't want, like MacAfee for example, and install all the Windows updates.

Make sure the new drive has the same capacity or greater than your original drive.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2016 10:00

Thank you very much for your reply! It gives me more confidence going forward. :emotion-2:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 30th, 2016 14:00

Best to get a Crucial SSD such as a 512 GB MX200 or 480 GB BX200:

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/xps-8300

I would also recommend replacing the wireless card with an Intel 7260:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-7260-HMWWBR-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00N7474CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454192767&sr=8-2&keywords=intel+dual+band+wireless+ac+7260

This card will replace the Dell Wireless 1501/1520 wireless card. If the system had Bluetooth the Bluetooth cable can be unplugged as the newer card has superior wireless and bluetooth.

Once you have these two you can directly clean install Windows 10 TH2 using your Windows 7 OEM key. Unfortunately this system just missed a UEFI BIOS update so you will need to install Windows 10 on a legacy BIOS using the MBR partition scheme. Windows 10 TH2 works very well on this system with these upgrades.

To prepare Windows 10 Th2 installation media see here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

4 Posts

January 30th, 2016 21:00

So I installed the new hard drive (same size), the System Recovery Disk was in the DVD drive, and everything proceeded like it was working just fine. It was a new drive, so it went through the partitioning and formatting bit. I chose restore to factory state. At the end it said restoration was done and to click a button to restart. I did that and all i get is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. Did I do something wrong? Suggestions for next steps? 

4 Posts

January 31st, 2016 10:00

Never mind. I found an older set of Recovery Disk, used that and the computer boots up ok. I guess the later set of recovery disk were defective. I'm glad I created the earlier recovery disks when the hard drive was not getting wonky.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 31st, 2016 12:00

Good to hear!

I'll echo Natakuc's suggestion. I put an SSD in my XPS 8100 and have upgraded to Windows 10, and love the new set-up.

No Events found!