Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2015 20:00

XPS 8900 adding SSD

I have ordered the basic 8900 with i7 and 1TB and 8MB. I noticed that one particular option at the time I ordered came with a SSD drive in addition to the 1TB that most came with.

To save quite a few dollars I have ordered a 500GB Samsung SSD and would like to know what is the best way to add the drive. Do I leave the original setup as is and add the SSD as a secondary drive or should I do a clean install of the OS on the SSD and make it the C drive?

Any and all advice sincerely appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 1st, 2015 13:00

Hi Willdloy,

I would recommend a clean install onto the SSD AFTER you create a set of recovery discs and make sure you have the installers for your hardware drivers and Dell installed applications. The recovery discs will allow you to restore the OS to the original 1TB drive or a replacement 1TB or larger drive in the event it ever becomes necessary. Unfortunately, you cannot restore your factory image to the 500GB SSD, since it's smaller than the original drive. Please refer to the OS installation guide I've linked to below for instructions.

November 2nd, 2015 17:00

Thank you for your instructions and advice. I will be doing the installation soon and feel confident of success with the info provided. thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 5th, 2015 23:00

Windows 10 TH2 is out on the Insider Preview Track now. This makes your Windows 10 TH1 factory settings obsolete and superior performance will be achieved by clean installing Windows 10 TH2 when the .isos are available to the mainstream users. This is likely going to be available on the 10th.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2015 10:00

Hi Ospray,

I just got XPS 8900 as well and planning to add SSD (currently it only has 1TB HDD with Win10) with clean Win 7 ultimate installation, would appreciate if you know whether it is good idea to do that or not? I have my own copy of Win 7 Ultimate ( I will install on desktop and rollback to Home premium edition on old laptop). 

I am planning to make SSD to boot from and then use 1TB HDD as secondary for storage. This is first time I am doing hardware upgrade on desktop ( was very easy to do on laptop) and not aware of  how to work with new BOIS stuff, would really appreciate if you provide any links?

thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi Rikki326,

This is really an operating system question. Obviously installing another hard drive is easy. Installing Win 7 on that machine should be relatively easy if you follow the OS installation guide linked to below. You will need to disable secure boot, which is not supported by Win 7. And you'll need to install from a flash drive, not a DVD disc. All of this is explained in the guide.

No Events found!