Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2021 09:00

XPS 8900 and Crucial PCI SSD

I have a Dell XPS 8900 and bought the 2TB Crucial PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD to install.  I installed the PCI SSD into the computer fine.  I used the recommended Acronis software to clone (with boot) my current hard drive to the SSD.  It copied everything successfully.  In Disk Management I verified the partitions and sizes of the hard drive and SSD were the same.  The BIOS does recognize the drive but the computer won't boot from the SSD. 

I have tried the following and still can't successfully boot to the PCI SSD

In the BIOS I set the SSD as the first drive to boot to
I tried cloning the software multiple times
I tried disconnecting my sata hard drive

Any HELP is appreciated!

3 Posts

November 12th, 2021 16:00

SOLVED!

I found this post which REALLY HELPED!!
https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/XPS-8910-install-NVMe-SATA-M-2-2280-PCIe-SSD-with-replace-swap/td-p/8051864

Instead of using Acronis software to clone, I used Macrium Reflect 8 'free edition' to create a "Macrium Rescue USB".  I then booted to it and cloned my hard drive to SSD using that software.  After it exited, the PC restarted.  I shut the system down.  Unplugged hard drive and CD/DVD and it went to Windows error screen on bootup.  I tried the Advanced, Fix Errors (no errors to fix) but then it went back to the Windows error screen.  I selected to "Continue to boot to Windows 10" and it worked!  I shut the PC down and connected the (old) hard drive and the CD/DVD and everything worked as expected!  Wahooo!

No Events found!