Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2004 04:00

XPS Gen 2 SATA / IDE Drives

I have just managed to install an IDE drive as my boot drive and now want to install a second 120gb SATA drive set up as a RAID 0. 

Do I need to do anything special to add the second SATA, besides paying for it?

Thanks!  Curly Joe

Message Edited by Curly Joe on 02-17-2004 01:22 AM

1.3K Posts

February 17th, 2004 19:00

On my system I created a RAID from an existing SATA Disk.   The steps were as follows:

1. install the second SATA drive.  
  2. Boot up your system
  3. Open Control Panel
  4. Open Intel Application Accelerator
  5. Right Click The Raid Volumes
  6. Select Create from Existing or something like this
  7. Existing Drive drive I choose port 0 (That was my C drive)
  8. Select Raid Level 0 or 1   (If you Select RAID Level 0 you have more options to choose)
  9. Select Drive to Add to Array this would be SATA port 1 assuming if it was like mine XPS Gen 2
  10. Start Migration process Takes about 1.25 hours on 120 GB System
  11. Boot after migration
  12. New Device installed message on Boot  says to reboot again
  13. After this boot you should be operational in RAID Level 0 or 1

The Intel Manual assuming you have the XPS covers it fairly well.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa_raid/manual.htm

21 Posts

February 17th, 2004 21:00

TomXPS,

Thanks for the helpful information!  My setup will be a little different because I am adding an 80gb IDE drive to boot from and will add the second SATA drive and set them up as RAID 0.  I'll need to re-install the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition since I did a clean reinstalled of the XP Pro OS onto my boot drive.  Re-installing the OS was a pain...  due mostly to operator error and confusion...

Hopefully, I'll eventually end up with an 80gb C: drive and a 240gb D: raid drive--- using the raid drive for video editing.

Thanks again for the info...

Curly Joe

21 Posts

February 17th, 2004 23:00

I tried to re-install the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition software so I would be ready when the new (second) SATA drive gets here.  I downloaded the software from the Intel website but when I ran it an error message was returned indicating that the hardware did not support the IAARE software.  It said that the system needed to have Intel 82801ER chips --- but the XPS has 82801EB.  Something about ICH5 and ICH5R ???

Where can I get a version of Intel Application Accelerator Raid Edition that will work with the XPS?  It looks like the one available from Dell is for use when installing the OS, not for adding later?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,  Curly Joe

1.3K Posts

February 17th, 2004 23:00

Make sure you have SATA RAID=ON in your setup otherwise the chipset does not get loaded.

21 Posts

February 18th, 2004 01:00

Okay!  You just saved me a big headache...  I'd never have figured that out on my own...

THANKS!

21 Posts

February 18th, 2004 15:00

Help!

I just installed a second SATA drive and created a D: drive as RAID 0.  All seems well...

BUT, now whenever I reboot a window initially pops up with the folder: C:\Windows\System32

Why? Is it just a conincidence that this is happening after installing the raid? How can I get the system to not show this folder whenever I boot?

Maybe (perhaps) it is just something else tat I have done that is causing this???

Thanks ...

Curly Joe

1.3K Posts

February 19th, 2004 02:00

I had this problem on my system once, but to be honest did not know how to fix it.   Did see a post a while back on this issue sounded fairly easy to fix.   You may want to re-post it in the Windows XP software section.    In my case I used System restore to restore it to a previous point in time.   For you that would not be advised since you may wipe out your whole raid install.

Good luck

1.3K Posts

February 19th, 2004 03:00

21 Posts

February 19th, 2004 11:00

Thanks!

That did the trick... solved my problem.

"Sounds" like a common problem?  But now the system boots with no problem.

Curly Joe

No Events found!