Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2009 21:00

XPS M140 Hard Drive filled up way too quick

UPDATE:  I found out what the problem was - don't know what caused it, but it's fixed for the time being.  I found a folder entitled "pfiles" in my "Documents & Settings" folder.  Don't know how it got there, but it was MS Office files and folders.  I also had the MS Office files and folders in my "Programs" folder (which is where it should be).  Once I deleted the "pfiles" folder it freed up about 59 GB of space on my hard drive.  If anyone knows why it did that, I would like to know.  Thanks.:emotion-1:

ORIGINAL POST:  I have a XPS M140.  It hasn't been very long I had to reformat my hard drive.  It filled up way too quick and I don't have that much on it.  It's a mystery.  Would love to find out what's up before I have to reformat and start all over again.

I'm an intermediate-type computer user - not too privy with computer knowledge.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

4.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 05:00

Welcome to the forums Elizabeth :emotion-21:

First of all... what size hard drive (HDD) is it, and what OS are you using?

The only way to know if you have a virus or spyware/malware, is to run checks for them, using your anti virus/ant spyware programs.

But it might just be system restore points eating up valuable HDD space?  All but the most recent restore points can be deleted though.

See here for a 'how to'... or here for a video tutorial :emotion-5:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2009 05:00

Hi, Elizabeth:

If you suspect a virus or worm, then this is the wrong forum. Please visit the virus and spyware forums. In the malware forum, you'll find instructions to generate and post a log (post it there, not here).

Once you've ruled out malware, then stop back and we can look more closely at why your hard drive is filling up so quickly.

January 18th, 2009 09:00

Just so you'll know - I'm an intermediate computer user - not so privy to computer knowledge.

My HDD is 68.4 and I'm running XP.

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 14:00

I read that in your opening post Elizabeth, and that's fair enough/understandable.

But the two links I provided in my previous post - which explain how to delete older restore points, are easy-to-understand/follow are they not?

No Events found!