Braveheart1971
1 Copper

XPS One 2720: Upgrade to SSD and keep existing 1TB HDD?

Hi There,

I have a Dell XPS One 2720, which currently has a 1TB HDD (the standard that came with the unit - Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s.

I am keen to add a SSD to boot from to increase boot speed.

I have a couple quite a few questions.

1. Is it possible to add a new SSD and also retain the existing HDD (for additional storage).

2. If so, is it correct that I need an mSATA (rather than SATA III) SSD?

3. Also, is it correct that for some reason there is a limit of 256GB for installing an mSATA SSD?

4. Finally, does it matter if the mSATA SSD is 6GB/s or 3GB/s in terms of compatibility?

Would appreciate any help and advice as I am pretty new to this, and learning as I go along.

(NB I did search the forums, and found answers which appears to suggest this is possible, but just want to ensure I am buying the right thing before I shell out the cold hard cash(!) - and would also like bigger than 256GB SSD if possible. 

If it helps I am looking at this, if someone can advise if it is compatible?

Many thanks in advance

John

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: XPS One 2720: Upgrade to SSD and keep existing 1TB HDD?

Hi BRAVEHEART1971,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

The maximum hard drives supported on XPS 2720 is as follows:

one 3.5-inch hard drive - 1TB, 2TB, 3TB and 4TB with 7200 rpm

one mSATA SSD -  256 GB with 3 Gb/s

You can retain the SATA hard drive along with the mSATA SSD drive.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address, if you have more queries.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
ig88d
1 Copper

I am trying to upgrade my SAMSUNG PM830 32GB msata drive that came w/my XPS 2720. (It will become the boot drive like op above.) I would like the biggest drive I can get. The advice you gave above indicates "one mSATA SSD -  256 GB with 3 Gb/s." However the specs from my original msata drive indicates that Host Interface "SATA Gen 3.0 – 6Gb/s." Does this mean I can get an SSD drive that has those specs and can I get something bigger than 256gb? (Dell motherboard Motherboard Dell Inc. 05R2TK) 

I'm not that computer literate. Not sure if I gave enough info to reply. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

It's better to ask a new question instead of continuing an old thread. You are limited to those upgrades. You cannot replace the 32 gb m-ssd cache drive with a ssd boot drive. Keep what you have now until you can replace the computer. All in ones are not suitable for major upgrading. 

See your manual-- 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-27-2720-aio/manuals

0 Kudos
jimmy_jawbone
1 Nickel

Re: XPS One 2720: Upgrade to SSD and keep existing 1TB HDD?

I upgraded the original mSATA SSD installed on the motherboard with a 1TB Samsung

Samsung 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW 1TB mSATA Internal SSD Single Unit Version
Sold by: DiscTech LLC

I worked fine.  But then I upgraded the original 2TB hard drive with a 4TB 

Seagate 4TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST4000LM024)

System works fine but for some reason the BIOS recognized the 4TB hard drive including manufacturer etc, but when I reinstalled Windows I only get 2TB in File Explorer.

0 Kudos