Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2004 04:00

anyone elese is upset with Dell products

I would like to talk to anyone elese that has nothing but trouble from Dell, I had nothing but problems with this company including Tech support, customer service, even the billing department had charged me double payments.
After I had to install a modem ( I had a three year warrenty) but noone would come out to install it for me( I paid that for nothing) I was making payments over the phone until they took out double the amount they were supposed to, when I called back to complain,  I was told that the person I talked to " there is noone here by that name" after weeks of trying to get a hold of tech support I find out that my hard drive is no good anymore and  finding out that my extended warrenty has run out 
I have decided that the only thing for me to do now is compain to the BBB forms have been sent out any I will never by anything from DELL again I beleive that this company is no good   and I feel that I have been lied to for the last three years.

OH yeah I forgot I was supposed to receive a free upgrade to windows XP I mailed the form out as soon as I was told I could....... DELL lost the form and I did not recieve my free upgrade 

I would like to know of anyother complaints about this company after all on the TV commercials all I here is how wonderfull there products are.

I would like to talk to someone that speaks ENGLISH 

2 Posts

December 5th, 2004 12:00

Alas, you are not alone in this situation. I have also been a victim lately.

Specifically, my Hitachi hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4600 died shortly after the expiration of the one-year warranty and even though the manufacturer of the hard drive guarantees it for three full years, Dell only stands ready to send me a new drive at 3 (read three) times the cost they sell in retail stores. Not to mention of course the lost data -- 14 months worth of information now irreversibly lost. Worse than that: the Dell help line, which I initially called, gave me exactly the wrong advice on how to deal with the problem, so that after their intervention my chances to ever recover that information had essentially become nil.

I wrote to Dell in my country but to no avail: they did not even care to acknowledge that they received my letter. I then contacted Dell's headquarters in the US but so far have only received desultory feedback, of the sort "provide your service tag and customer number", which had already been provided. OK, I realise Dell hardware is cheap, and that's why I bought a Dell machine, believing that it offered value for money. But like you I am terribly disappointed.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 5th, 2004 14:00

It is unfortunate, but the fault is not entirely Dell's. Dell's warranty terms are clear, and a 1-year notebook warranty is a bad idea for any maker's machine.

The data loss is simply your fault, not Dell's; you did not back up your data. Hard drives fail - that's a fact of life. Does not matter who made it or who sold the system - they will all eventually fail, some sooner than others.

58 Posts

December 5th, 2004 15:00

ejn63,

I would say that a hard drive failing within 14 months and system only having one year warranty is not an excuse for Dell to wash there hands. In the UK they would still be expected to offer to do something about it as it is not acceptable for a hard drive that was fit for purpose to fail within 14 months. I know this for a fact and trading standards in UK would take the matter up with Dell.

At the end of the day though Dell support is terrible especially if you are outside of US. I am honest about why I bought a Dell. Had one before with no problems and got this new one as it was a good buy and easy to get on credit. I already new support was terrible.

5 Posts

December 5th, 2004 15:00

I feel your pain friends! - I too am a disatisfied paying customer, My 4600 lost the hard drive just after the one year warranty expired, and after trying to get help on the phone for 40 minutes, pushing this button for this and that button for that, and being transfered around the world - I was hung up on.

Great service Dell, I'm glad I'm not paying your phone bill - I thought the TV ads said they had
"Award Winning Customer Service" Ya right, Maybe if you have a couple thousand to spend.

Call me crazy, but isn't a PC suppose to last longer than a year without replacing major parts?
Maybe I'll call Gateway or IBM and ask them.

Needless to say the customer service is a waste of time. Not one of them had a clue what they were doing, Its all about keeping the call time as low as possible. Forget the customers needs.

Sorry to hear they doubled charged you - I hope the BBB looks into it - Maybe Mr. Dell himself will realize all his unhappy customers made him rich!!!

Good Luck -

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 5th, 2004 18:00

My point isn't that Dell is unfair (or isn't); it's that complaining about data loss is not fair to Dell (or the drive maker). It's YOUR responsibility to back up your data - the drive can fail, whether three minute, three hours, three days, or three years old.

December 5th, 2004 19:00

I have backedup everything I have, I cleanup my computer monthly .MY point is I pay for things and don't get what I am  supposed to get.
If I pay for an extended warrenty that states everything is covered for three years someone will come out to fix it. I had a problem with my modem and Dell shipped me the part and I had to install it. I don't know anything about the inside of a computer but, even though I paid for it and was told that some one would be here I had to do it. ( the guy that came out once before lives three blocks away from my house) I called him first and his responce was that HE had to be called out by DELL first before he'll do anything.
thats why I am so mad
If you owned a car  and bought a warrenty wouldn't you complain if the mechinics didn't do their job.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2004 19:00

I was putting things in context, not complaining that Dell should have safeguarded the integrity of my data. What the Dell voice on the line did, however, was terrible: it told me to do all the things one should refrain from doing when a hard drive fails and you want to recover the information stored on it. I only realized this ex post, once I started to enquire about data recovery. On the spur of the moment, I turned to Dell's technical assistance, which in Europe is not free but gives lousy "advice".
Furthermore, Dell should at the very least have the courtesy to reply to mail from disgruntled customers. Sadly enough, the fact that I am not alone in feeling that Dell's services are not living up to their commercials only reinforces my point.
No Events found!