Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2006 01:00

blank CD-R not recognized

I have never tried burning CD-Rs until a few days ago.  All my previous burns were to CD-RWs.  When I tried putting some blank CD-Rs in my drive recently, I found the disks are not even being recognized as being in the drive. (To be absolutely clear: This is NOT a reoccuring problem because I had never tried burning CD-Rs until a few days ago).  All other disks are recognized just fine (i.e. CD-RWs, DVDs, commercial media).

My specs:
Dimension 2400
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B combo drive

What I have tried:
- multiple blank CD-Rs (I am trying FUJIFILM 700MB CD-Rs)
- I right clicked on the disk drive to select properties and ensured "enable CD recording on the drive" is checked.
- Under control panel, I selected Administrative Tools and Services checked the IMAPI CD-burning COM service and started it. (The service, however does not stay started even when marked as automatic.) 
- I tried dowloading and installing update R92814.EXE from Dells support download page.  (The page said the update was for HLDS GCC4481-B HH 48X32 Combo drive.  I assumed this was the same as mine, am I correct?)  When I tried running the update, I got to the HLDS Windows Download screen but when I pushed the upgrade button, I was alerted "Update file name is not correct!".
- I tried following Predator's guide section 13-0, article 12 about disabling Sonic DLA, but when I got to the step regarding the "CD Drive Properties" window, I did not see a DLA tab.  (I do have Sonic DLA on my computer as I have searched for it, but perhaps it is not installed?).
- Everything else on the computer works fine.

Also, I have heard that some brands of CD-Rs might just not work with some drives.  Is this true?  If so, do you know which brands work with my drive and which do not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15.3K Posts

June 9th, 2006 12:00

Hi Wimker,

This is the the correct firmware update but I did not see the upgrade button you mentioned.
Did you see these steps from Dell?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with HTML Pop-Up Window for
R92814.EXE

Download
1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to
disk (Windows XP users, click Save) and click OK. The Save In: window
appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
name icon appears on your desktop.

Install
1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R92814.EXE.
The Self-Extractor window appears.
2.Click OK or Continue.
The Self-Extracting Driver Installation window appears and prompts to
extract files to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R92814.
3.Leave all of the default settings and click Unzip or OK. If the
directory doesn't exist, you'll be prompted to create one. Click Yes. A
Self Extractor window appears and indicates C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R92814 files were
extracted.
4.Click OK.
Follow the on-screen installation instructions in the window.

HTML Pop-Up With Install Now Button
1.The Dell Software Installation Documentation window appears.
2.Click the Install Now button. A File Download window appears.
3.Click Run this program from its current location and click OK.
The Security Warning window appears.
4.Click Yes. The InstallShield Wizard window appears.
5.Follow the on-screen instructions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, some drives can be picky but I myself have always had good luck with Fujifilm. If you cannot get the firmware update to install or the update does not help; then run the article I have listed in Section 20, article 3.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 06-09-200609:54 AM

4 Posts

June 9th, 2006 21:00

Well, I got the driver update installed.  The problem with that was that the "on-screen installation instructions" mentioned after step 4 below didn't help for someone unknowledgable about the system.  Had I not eventually realized that the GUI was prompting for a .HEX file, I would have never figured it out.  If I were Dell, I would add the following steps to the instructions below...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install
1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R92814.EXE.
The Self-Extractor window appears.
2.Click OK or Continue.
The Self-Extracting Driver Installation window appears and prompts to
extract files to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R92814.
3.Leave all of the default settings and click Unzip or OK. If the
directory doesn't exist, you'll be prompted to create one. Click Yes. A
Self Extractor window appears and indicates C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R92814 files were
extracted.
4.Click OK.
Follow the on-screen installation instructions in the window.

5.  After pushing OK, when the "HLDS WINDOWS DOWNLOAD" screen appears, click the "Browse" button and then select the file C:/DELL/Drivers/R92814/jc5dlj12.HEX.

6. Now click the "Upgrade" button and when the process is complete and then re-boot your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I did get the driver installed but with no success in solving my problem.  I then followed the instructions given to re-load the IDE Controller (Secondary IDE Channel), rebooted, and still no dice.  It just seems odd that everything else on this computer works fine except reading CD-Rs.  You say you have a similar drive and FUJIFILM CD-Rs work fine for you?  Anyway, thanks for your help at any rate, it is appreciated.  If you have any further advice, please share. 

Thanks.

4 Posts

June 13th, 2006 22:00

Ok, problem resolved.

For anyone reading this who had the same problem, I was nice enough to come back to this forum and respond with my solution (ain't I nice?).

For me anyway, a simple change in CD brand made the difference.  FUJIFILM 700MB CD-Rs were not working, but when I tried Verbatim 700MB CD-Rs, they worked ok.  I can't garuntee this will work for you, but if your as frustrated as I was, anything is worth a try.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2007 02:00

I'm trying to use this in order to update my drive so that I can use DVD-R to burn DVDs and I do all of the steps in the pop-up but I don't have an install now button.  Mine says "upgrade" when I click on that it then says Execute Command error!! 5/20/0 what should I do now?
No Events found!