Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2005 21:00

booting this system have failed at checkpoint [OoPs]

Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [OoPs]. for help in resolving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact dell technical support.

Primary hard disk drive 0 not found
primary hard disk drive 1 not found

I have not performed any maintenance or hardware replacements.

Is the disk controller bad?
Is the harddrive bad?

Dimensions 8200

Rick

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 7th, 2005 21:00

Rick B. 8.

Try running Dell diagnostics extended test to check the hard drives, if need be, you can download a set of five floppies from here.

Bev.

9.4K Posts

September 7th, 2005 23:00

Rick B.8, also try a "hard" reset of the NVRAM following this procedure....

With the machine unplugged from the wall remove the battery from the motherboard.  Then with the machine still unplugged press the On button for several seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard.  Then re-install the battery, plug the machine back into the wall and see if it will boot normally.

Click here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for the "how to" on removing the battery.  Although the link is for the 8100 model, the information on the removal procedure is the same.  For some reason Dell left out that section in the 8200 model's User Guide.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2005 00:00

I ran the diagnostic tests and no errors were found.
Next is the battery R&R.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2005 00:00

After Battery R&R, Bios needed Time& Date reset (normal after battery removal).
IDE drives were set to OFF, Changed this to AUTO. Bios states "UNKOWN DEVICE".
Saved and Exited.
On ReBoot, BEEP BEEP,
System/BIOS Message:
Primary hard disk drive 0 not found
Primary hard disk drive 1 not found

Strike the F1 key to Continue, F2 to run the for Setup utility.

??????

Do I need to Update/Flash the BIOS? (Phoenix RAM Bios Plus V 1.10 A05)

Rick

11.9K Posts

September 8th, 2005 01:00

To add to a recent post, simply click on it, pick Message Options, then Edit.

9.4K Posts

September 8th, 2005 10:00

Rick B.8, I'm assuming that the battery removal got rid of the checkpoint error?  If so then try clearing the NVRAM again only this time do it through the BIOS Setup by following the procedure found by clicking here.  Possibly by clearing of NVRAM again the system will redetect the drives now that the checkpoint error is gone. 

As for flashing the BIOS that depends on your currently installed version.  In the BIOS history for your model there was nothing listed that fixed or improved on drive detection at boot up.  Starting with version A05 there was a fix for trouble-shooting "unknown" drive problems. This is what it offered.....  "Fixed issue with UNKNOWN devices in System Setup for IDE devices.    If a failure occurs, now check the second IDE cable for devices."   

If the problem continues then I would try disconnecting a drive one at a time to see how the system boots up.  I would also clear the NVRAM after each disconnection.  If the system boots up without error with an individual drive disconnected then I would suspect that drive as being the problem.

Message Edited by Majestic on 09-08-2005 06:58 AM

4 Posts

September 9th, 2005 18:00

After trying different options (cable replacement, BIOS FLASH, different HDs), I did find
a HD that worked. There is a real problem with the HD controller. The only thing that
worked, was when I installed a 3gig Quantum drive. Then the bios HD controller was
happy. Any other drive would produce the "UNKOWN DEVICE" error.

So unless there is something I missed in the BIOS settings for recognizing
HDs larger than 3gig, I will have to replace the main board.

Thanks for the help.

Rick

9.4K Posts

September 10th, 2005 10:00

An alternative to replacing the motherboard is to just spend $30 and install an ATA Controller card into one of your available PCI slots.  The controller card will then manage the drives instead of the motherboard IDE controller.
No Events found!