Highlighted
shasha_s94
1 Copper

cd drive is not recongnised, whereas dvd drive is recongnised

i have a major problem which iam facing from past  few months,,,

my DVD/CD DRIVE does not read or write any CDs(blank/files)(doesnt even recongnises the CD).,..  whereas the dvd works absolutely fine..... without any problems.... i tried deleting upper and lower filters....i updated my DVD/CD rom firware......device manager says the DVD/CD rom works properly....i tried with lot of CDs, but none were successfull..

but i still have the issue.....kindly help me out in resolving this problem.....

SYSTEM MODEL: INSPIRON 580S

PROCESSOR; INTEL CORE i3          540 @ 3.07GHz

MEMORY: 4096 RAM

DIRECTX VERSION: DIRECTX11

DVD/CD ROM: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653H ATA Device

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Skybird
5 Rhenium

Re: cd drive is not recongnised, whereas dvd drive is recongnised

Run the Dell Diagnostics to test the drive.  The Diagnostics should be on your hard drive.  Press F12 at startup while the blue Dell is on the screen.  This will take you to the boot menu where the Utility Partition or Diagnostics will be a choice.  Run the Custom Test for the drive and have a data CD (not music CD) in the drive for the read test.

0 Kudos
shasha_s94
1 Copper

@SKYBIRD  thanx a lot for yuo ans.!! appreciated.... but as i run the the read test in custom test or seek test.... it says to insert a proper disk....wen i inserted DVD disk with data the test runs perfectly well.... but wen inserted CD with data the test weren't successful , i tried with lot of other data CD's but the tests failed.and i also ran the dell diagonistics test the CD/DVD drive test were passed>>

do you have any other solution to my problem>: ??

regards

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Rhenium

If the data DVD passes the Diagnostics test and the data CD fails, then it means the DVD laser is working while the CD laser is bad.  The drive needs to be replaced.  

0 Kudos