Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2007 15:00

choppy distorted sound from the cd/dvd player

Hi, hoping someone can help me fix the choppy distorted sound coming from played dvd's and cd's.  Sounds just fine from file music. It seems to have something to do with the background music and noise, is pretty good with just the voices.  This has happened before and I did a System Restore and it fixed it.  This time in System Restore there are not any days before today that I can choose from.  Not sure why about that, but at any rate, any helpful ideas?

19 Posts

I've gone into all three of them; under one of the Primary's in the Device 0 box it has 'DMA if available' selected and says Current Transfer Mode 'Ultra DMA Mode 5'.  In its Device 1 box it has DMA if available showing, but says 'not applicable' for the Current Transfer Mode.  The other Primary in Device 0 has DMA if available showing, but says PIO Mode.  In its Device 1 box it has DMA if available selected, but says Not Applicable for Current Transfer Mode.  The Secondary, in Device 0 and Device 1 boxes, has DMA if available, but says Not Applicable in both boxes.  Any thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

For the channel to which no drive is connected, the setting will be "not applicable". If there's a drive there, it will be either PIO or DMA.

19 Posts

Ok, I am going through the process, but have a question.  Under the Device Manager tab, I expanded the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.  The instructions then tell me to select the "appropriate" IDE channel, Primary or Secondary.  I have two Primary's and one Secondary to choose from.  How do I know which one is the "appropriate" one?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

This problem is nearly always caused by the CD drive running in PIO (slow) instead of DMA mode. See if this article helps; Instructions for enabling DMA in Windows XP.

One cause of a drive running in PIO mode is that the drive is turned OFF in the BIOS. If you cannot seem to get it into DMA, please post your system model and I can provide a few more details.

Good luck!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 13th, 2007 17:00

The one that says PIO, that's the one you need to fix.

19 Posts

October 13th, 2007 17:00

I have tried, but not sure how.  I have the DMA choice selected, but it still lists current transfer mode as PIO Mode.  Is there a way to change it besides in the Device Manager?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 13th, 2007 22:00

Did you check the BIOS as I suggested above?

19 Posts

October 14th, 2007 05:00

Yes, got it.  Thank you!
No Events found!