Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2012 08:00

codes

HI, i have a inspiron530, i recorded a video from the computer onto a DVD-RW disc it played o/k on the computer

but when i came to play it on the DVD player with the tele a message came up, VIDEO CODEC NOT SUPPORTED.

Doe,s this mean the region is wrong? the region is set at No 2 GT BRITAIN. Any idea's? Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

July 16th, 2012 13:00

DVD RW disks will not play on any other machine, only on the computer that recorded it. You must burn the video to a write-once dvd and finalize it to use in another dvd player. It has nothing to do with codecs or region. You cannot finalize a rewritable disk.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 16th, 2012 16:00

Hi Bennie24,

Let me clarify that some tabletop DVD players can play RW discs, depending on the player and quality of the disc. However, tabletop DVD players do not all play the wide variety of video formats that a computer can play. In order to ensure the best compatibility, you need to make sure the disc is written using a program that can encode DVD video. Nero is one example, but there are many others. You cannot simply copy a video to a disc and expect it to play on your DVD player.

A properly encoded DVD disc will show two folders, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, and you will see a variety of large files in the video folder (VOB, BUP, IFO, etc.).

Mary G is correct, region codes are only used on commercial DVD discs, not ones you make at home.

No Events found!