Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2011 07:00

did bios update to d620 and now hdd not detected

My lattitiude 620 atg was working fine and I got this crazy idea to update all drivers on it through the dell website since I never did it since iI bought it in 2007.  I left the bios for the last update and when I did that no I get a screen that says no hard drive detected. I tried to restore windows xp through the f6, had my dell restore disk in, but it still will not recognize my hdd.  I am somewhat tech literate, consider myself above a newbie.  I know I can get this going with easy to understand directions, can anyone help me??!! 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 8th, 2011 08:00

Hi Golfcartqueen,

Boot to the BIOS (F2) and make sure the appropriate SATA ports are enabled for your hard drive and DVD drive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 8th, 2011 10:00

Reseat (remove and reinstall) the hard drive.  If it isn't found thereafter, it has failed (likely coincidentally to the BIOS update).  Replace it with any 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive you choose.

January 8th, 2011 10:00

when I boot to the bios, the only place any hdd info is, is under system/device.  shows primary hardrive - none, mod.bay device - cd-rw/dvd combo.  fileds are unchangable.

January 8th, 2011 12:00

If I have to replace it, how large can I upgrade to without decreasing performance?  Also was looking to upgrade RAM at the same time - if I can get upgrade specs on that?

I just can't believe it's the hard drive as this is a spare computer and I hardly ever used it.  Is that the only possible solution?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 8th, 2011 14:00

See above.  Any SATA notebook drive 9.5mm or slimmer will work.

RAM:  www.crucial.com

January 8th, 2011 15:00

I knopw you say any SATA but can I use SATA II also?  Looking at a Seagate 7200rpm - 320GB but it says SATA II?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 9th, 2011 08:00

All SATA notebook drives that will physically fit, will work - doesn't matter what the interface specification is.

No Events found!