Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2006 13:00

dimension 2300 hijacker virus-hard drive wipe

Hello, i was an idiot and didnt have any antivirus protection on my desktop. found out i had a hijacker virus. said to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall back to orig setup. I put in the reinstall disk and it reinstalled the programs but i dont think it wiped the drive first as the virus is still there. how do i wipe the harddrive clean? Thanks

11.9K Posts

gtrman1971 wrote:
Hello, i was an idiot and didnt have any antivirus protection on my desktop. found out i had a hijacker virus. said to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall back to orig setup. I put in the reinstall disk and it reinstalled the programs but i dont think it wiped the drive first as the virus is still there. how do i wipe the harddrive clean? Thanks

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

Boot with the XP disk in the drive, hit F12 at the Dell screen, pick CD drive to boot from.  In the Install process, delete all partitions, make a new one(s), format it, and install XP, then drivers beginning with Chipset if it's on the list.

2 Posts

Thanks, i looked for a search option on top of the page. Didnt think it would be at the bottom.  I ran the install disk but for some reason it didnt take away my programs. still had itunes and the virus on there when it rebooted.

11.9K Posts

October 4th, 2006 16:00

gtrman1971 wrote:
Thanks, i looked for a search option on top of the page. Didnt think it would be at the bottom.  I ran the install disk but for some reason it didnt take away my programs. still had itunes and the virus on there when it rebooted.

As I said, you'd need to boot to the CD and remove all partitions.  The disk will only install Windows, you have to install drivers and programs yourself.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2006 17:00

No Events found!