Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2007 02:00

eSATA hard drive not being detected??

I just purchased a Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop. I had it configured to have the external SATA (eSATA) connector installed. When I got the 755 I reformatted and installed Windows XP Pro. I had some trouble getting windows installed because it was not detecting the SATA controller. After some investigating i found I had to load the drivers on a floppy disk and press F6 during Windows setup to install drivers. So I got Windows up and running. Then I bought a 500GB external hard drive from Newegg and a eSATA cable from Monoprice. I hooked up the hard drive up to the 755 and turned it on. Nothing happened on the computer, no new devices were detected nothing. I thought that maybe the drive just needed to be formatted so I went under computer management then under disk management but there was no new drives. I am pretty sure I loaded all the possible drivers for my 755 from dell's drivers and downloads section on their website. No CD came with the drive, and the manual said it would just be detected by windows. I checked the Western Digital's website and no drivers there. There was a diagnostic utility that I may try later on but I doubt that would help if my computer isn't even recognizing the drive. So that leaves me thinking that either the cable is bad, which I had to buy separately from Monoprice because the drive only came with a USB 2.0 cable and no eSATA cable. Or something is missing in relation to the controller (SATA)?? I dunno I am a bit lost at this point. Oh and the 755's (at least the desktop version) has a eSATA port on the motherboard. I paid $3 extra for dell to put in this external extension. Basically it is a eSATA extension cable that plugs into the port on the mobo and takes up one of your pci lots but does not plug into the pci connector. See manual. Someone please help! Thanks

13 Posts

October 24th, 2007 03:00

This is what I have in the bios. Still no luck. Even when I have the drive disconnected the bios still says drive id = unknown.

428 Posts

October 24th, 2007 13:00

Did you try the drive using the USB connection and cable? Is it recognized then? If so, it might be a bad e-sata cable--I think there were some posts a while back where somebody found that on one end of the cable, the plastic protruded enough so that the pins didn't get all the way into the connector when you plugged it in.

Ken

3 Posts

April 7th, 2008 22:00

I currently have a very similar problem!

Optiplex 755 + new WD My Book 1TB drive.  Seen via USB2 but not via 3rd party SATA cable to backplate + eSATA cable to drive.  BIOS External SATA set on (this option only appears to be displayed when the drive is connected - does not need to be powered on) ==> drive ID shown as unknown (not sure how significant this is).

Still trying to establish where the problem lies (PC, cables or drive).

Alastair

12 Posts

August 20th, 2008 19:00

I have the same problem xps 400 with the sata port turned on, sata to esata bracket, esata cable WD500 GB HDD. Message says no sata drive found.

1 Message

August 27th, 2019 12:00

I bought an eSATA header to connect to this port.  I also enabled it in the BIOS which is latest & last release by Dell of A22

The entire system locks up on boot when an eSATA device is connected.  It does not complete BIOS checks.

When I use a real SiL3132CNU eSATA card everything works fine.  I'm not exactly sure what's the deal with the internal header but if anyone else who has used this older equipment wants to chime in it would be appreciated.

All of the spam-bot "Pro/Experts" in the forum...just stay quite.  None of you add any value to real discussions. 

1 Message

June 28th, 2021 05:00

Does your external esata drive have it's own power supply?  I don't think the built in eSata port does.  Although a 3rd party card might.

No Events found!