Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2010 07:00

error code 2000-0146

I have this error code on my hard disk if I run the diganostics. My machine is under warranty still, but there are no other symptoms of an HDD problem. I have run chkdsk, it made some repairs and the disk seems to be OK, but the diagnostic error code is still there. I have read dozens of posts on this error and the reply seems always to be replace the hard drive - most people with this error code though have HDD symtoms - often severe.

Should I go to the hassle of replacing my hard drive and reinstalling all my software?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 28th, 2010 08:00

If you choose not to do so now, make absolutely sure you have backups from this point forward.  You WILL be replacing the drive, if not today than in a few days or weeks.

1 Message

April 21st, 2011 22:00

I changed my HHD did not loose any file but 0146 persist on diags. Can you tell me how you solved your problem?. Also how did you run chkdsk??. tx nenillo

May 6th, 2011 07:00

i have replaced my hdd 2 times, still i am getting same error of 2000-0146

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 6th, 2011 10:00

Hi Murali,

That error indicates, "DST Log contains previous error(s)". So it's left over from the previous drive.

2 Posts

February 18th, 2012 17:00

IN this email thread I read 2 different courses of action so it is appreciated if someone can set us clear:

1) Do these symptoms and errors eman the hrad drive needs to be replaced: now or very soon? 

OR

2) Does the above response mean "errors left from previous drive (presumably previous drive plugged into this same laptop)" and therefore what is being implied is that HDD should not be replaced. If so, then what shoudl be done? We've all seen advice suggesting the HDD be uninstalled and reinstalled. IS that the suggested approach?

Many thx for the advice and attention.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 19th, 2012 04:00

Hi SSK123,

The proper course of action is to test the drive with the Dell diagnostics. If it checks out, then you're fine.

Of course, maintaining data backups is always prudent.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2012 07:00

Many thx OSprey4 for your continued advice. In running the Diagnostics utility, the challenge is interpreting the outcome:

I receive the error Code 2000-0146, and the Diagnostics (when complete) provide the following:

"pre-boot system assessment complete. No diagnostic utility partition identified. 2000-0146: DSTlog contains previous errors. Please elect OK to reboot your system"

1) What is this telling me to do? (entering OK to reboot results in an infinite cycle of the laptop attempting to load Windows 7 onto a HDD that I had wiped clean-not reformatted but wiped clean using a Military Standard specification).

2) Are these results indicative of a HDD that needs to be physicall uninstalled and reinstalled? or a HDD that is failing and needs replacement? Or of a HDD (relatively new on a DELL Lattitude E6400) that may not have been wiped as clean as I had thought?

What course of action should I take?

Thanks in advance.

SSK123

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 19th, 2012 10:00

SSK123

Error Code 2000-0146 could indicate a failing hard drive, for more information, go HERE

If there's a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement drive, give the Techie the error code.

Bev.

Edited for content.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 19th, 2012 11:00

Ok, that wasn't much help.

What I suggest you do is run the Dell diagnostics with your drivers and utilities disc. The procedure can be found using the link below.

No Events found!