fvega74
1 Nickel

help! restoring!

Ok so i think i did this all wrong. i used dban and erased everything on my harddrive...ugh. i got all the cds to restore it but they arent reading any of them. all that comes up is a black screen.???help please

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Gold

Re: help! restoring!

Hi fvega74,

Please follow these instructions for reinstalling the operating system on your computer. Follow the "manual reinstallation" instructions.

If you need more help, be sure to tell us what model Dell you have and your operating system.

0 Kudos
fvega74
1 Nickel

that isnt working. it still just a black screen and says f1 retry boot and f2 setup utility...??? we have windows xp and the service tag is <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos
jackshack
5 Tungsten

Am I correct in assuming you have a Dimension 3000?  If so, your computer uses parallel ATA/IDE for the hard drive(s) and the DVD/CD ROM drive(s).  The only device that the computer will automatically search for boot code is the master drive on each of the two channels used for the optical and hard disk drives.  If you have two optical drives, such as a CD and a DVD/CD drive, the Windows XP set up disk must be in the master optical drive; the master drive on the channel is that drive at the end of the ribbon cable.  If you have had no success with the disk in one of the drives, try the other.

If you still have trouble booting from the master drive, try going to system setup (F2 during the self test after you start or restart the computer) and turning secondary drive 0 (the master on the second IDE channel) off.  This should allow you to use the slave drive to boot from the disk.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos