Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2011 14:00

how to buy SSD for 2nd drive for L702x (17 inch xps with 3d)

I bought my laptop specifically with the 256 GB SSD.  This was a selling point even though it cost $600.  Now I'd like to add a second drive.  The answers provided here helped me to understand that buying my own and installing it would not invalidate the warranty on my Dell laptop (directly contradicting the apparently incorrect information provided by Dell reps).

Since Dell is still asking for more than $600 if I want to buy the SSD I'm pretty sure will work, and since Dell is not offering any other smaller less-expensive drives, I'd like to see if somehow a fellow XPS owner can help me understand exactly which specifications and brand names I should look for in ordering from CDW, NewEgg, Tigerdirect or Dell or the like. 

Should I prioritize to buy a Samsung since Samsung seems to make the hardware for my existing 256 gb SSD (if I am not mistaken, which I could be)?

Anyone here with experience trying to order SSDs to install themselves into Dell laptops?  Thanks for any points.

jl

14.4K Posts

June 5th, 2011 13:00

Don't worry, the sata standard is backward compatible so any 2.5" sata ssd, be it sata 2 or sata 3 spec, will work with your laptop.

14.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2011 16:00

It's very easy to install/replace the 2nd hdd.

support.dell.com/.../hdd.htm

I don't know if your model has sata 3 ports but I suggest you look at ssds from crucial or intel that should be cheaper than the 600 notes that dell wants. Dell can't invalidate your laptop warranty if you just change a hdd though they obviously won't support your third party sdd but its manufacturer will.

46 Posts

June 5th, 2011 01:00

Thanks.  The problem isn't just that Dell is seeking $600+ for a 256 gb drive, but that it is refusing to offer a smaller SSD, such as 128 gb.  

I have no idea as to this 3 SATA port issue you mention.  That is perhaps a clue to the fact that I am in danger of buying a drive that won't work out in my computer.  I am trying to avoid going through returns, and all that.  

So, that's why I'm concerned either to buy directly from Dell or to get some idea from someone as to an exact drive we know will work in my computer, or at least what to look for.

Maybe if I take my computer by Best Buy they could try a couple of things in-store?

jl

June 5th, 2011 02:00

hi

46 Posts

June 5th, 2011 20:00

ok, thanks.

46 Posts

June 11th, 2011 06:00

Note.  There was something a bit non-functional about the link you gave.  The one that works appears to be here.

support.dell.com/.../index.htm

support.dell.com/.../document.aspx

No Events found!