Highlighted
nirvanbd
Bronze

how to delete "Dell Recovery" partition from the hard disk.

I have dell inspiron with windows 7 home. Some software modules that I use run only on windows XP, so I was planning to make the pc dual boot. For that I need a primary partition but I have ran out of that. Here is the partition information of my hard disk.

Partition 1: OEM partition 

Partition 2: RECOVERY (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Partition 3: OS(CSmiley Happy (Boot, Page file, crash dump, Primary Partition)

Partition 4: Extended Partition with two logical drives (D and E)

As I already have 3 primary and 1 extended partition, I need to free one to install XP on it. So I was trying to delete the RECOVERY partition and create another primary partition for fresh XP install. But I am not able to delete the same as it has been marked "Active". I have tried windows "Disk Management", "EASUES Partition Master Home" and windows "diskpart" utility and none of them could delete the RECOVERY partition. Any ideas how I can make my pc dual boot ?

regards,

Nirvan.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

Re: how to delete "Dell Recovery" partition from the hard disk.

Hi Nirvanbd,

What model is your Dell?

0 Kudos
nirvanbd
Bronze

The model is "Inspiron 580s". Here is the link on dell for the product. 

thanks for the reply,

regards,

Nirvan.

0 Kudos
ieee488
Diamond

I have dell inspiron with windows 7 home. Some software modules that I use run only on windows XP, so I was planning to make the pc dual boot. For that I need a primary partition but I have ran out of that. Here is the partition information of my hard disk.

Partition 1: OEM partition 

Partition 2: RECOVERY (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Partition 3: OS(CSmiley Happy (Boot, Page file, crash dump, Primary Partition)

Partition 4: Extended Partition with two logical drives (D and E)

As I already have 3 primary and 1 extended partition, I need to free one to install XP on it. So I was trying to delete the RECOVERY partition and create another primary partition for fresh XP install. But I am not able to delete the same as it has been marked "Active". I have tried windows "Disk Management", "EASUES Partition Master Home" and windows "diskpart" utility and none of them could delete the RECOVERY partition. Any ideas how I can make my pc dual boot ?

regards,

Nirvan.

gParted    http://gparted.sourceforge.net

0 Kudos
nirvanbd
Bronze

ieee488,

Thanks for the reply. Just to be sure, I believe deleting the RECOVERY partition should not affect the booting of existing windows 7 operating system ? Or will deleting the RECOVERY partition cause existing windows 7 to be lost ?

thanks and regards,

NIrvan.

0 Kudos
nirvanbd
Bronze

Deleting the Dell Recovery Partition will cause the inspiron 580s not to boot. I had to fix the boot problem using the windows CD shipped by dell.

regards,

NIrvan

0 Kudos