Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2006 01:00

iTunes - Burn CD Error - The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (4280)

I am trying to burn a CD using iTunes.  I get the error message:

The attempt to burn a disc failed.  An unknown error occurred (4280)

I have a Dell Latitude D505.  When running the iTunes CD Diagnostics, the following message is displayed:

IDE\CdRom_NEC_DVD+RW_ND-6100A____________________104D____, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]

Some Dell computers need an update to the ATA bus driver before iTunes recognizes CDs. If you have a Dell computer, check the Dell support website for details.

D: _NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A, Rev 104D

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Todd

4 Posts

January 14th, 2006 02:00

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

1 Message

January 23rd, 2006 19:00

The same error message Unknown error 4280 is popping up every time I try to burn a CD! Have you figured out how to get passed it? Or does anyone know how to correct it?

4 Posts

January 24th, 2006 02:00

Yes, I slowed the burn speed way down.  That seemed to resolve the issue.

1 Message

March 26th, 2006 17:00

I bought some Philips CD-R on sale from Circuit City.  I tried to burn them using iTunes on my sister's Dell Laptop.  I gave the same error message.

I tried the unknown brand name FREE after rebate Audiobohn CD-R I got a year ago.  That WORKED...didn't have any problems.  So I read this forum and reduced the speed (from "Max Allowable" to 4x) in iTune preference.  Now the Philips CD-R worked.  Then I tried to burn another Philips disc and the same error message appeared.  So I increased the speed (from "4x" to "16x") and it worked.  Then I tried to burn another CD, the same error message appeared.  I went into preference and didn't change the speed...just OK the same speed...same error message appeared.  So I went back and changed the speed ("16x" to "8x") and that worked.  In burning the Philips disc, you need to constantly change the speed.  It makes no sense but it works.  I don't know whose fault it is:  Dell, iTunes, or Philips.

SO WHAT'S THE MORAL OF THE STORY?
1.  Buy unknown brand CD-Rs.  They're cheaper and work better.
2.  When in doubt, change the burn speed.  Up, down, it doesn't matter.  And hope something works.
No Events found!