Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FM

December 23rd, 2005 16:00

inacessible CD-RW disk

I put in a new CD-RW disk, and moved one short file to it. The next time I tried to move data to the disk, I got the message:

D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

What does this mean?

10.9K Posts

December 23rd, 2005 18:00

What burning software are you using?  Did you format the disk?
Are you using the built-in Windows burning software?  Describe
how you are writing to the disk.

96 Posts

December 24th, 2005 17:00

I used Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 - DirectCD Format Utility.The disk seemed to format ok, and Properties showed 0 used disk. I copied a small file to  the disk using a copy-paste, and I think it copied ok.. The next day when I tried to access the disk again is when I got the error message. (Windows XP).

10.9K Posts

December 24th, 2005 18:00

It sounds like a confusion between the Windows built-in burning software
and DirectCD.  Open My Computer and right-click the drive and select
Properties.  Select the Recording tab and uncheck the Enable CD recording
on this drive
.  See if that makes a difference.

96 Posts

December 26th, 2005 22:00

I tried to do as you said but  couldn't. When I right-clicked on the CD icon, it gave me the hourglass-like icon that indicates "processing" and stayed there for a long time. Eventually a screen popped up that said "UDFCHK.EXE" at the top (otherwise blank). And I noticed that the CD drive icon (in My Computer) now has the label "UDFREADER (D:), which is a different label than the same disk had yesterday!

This must be  a clue as to what is going in. Somebody must know what this means.

10.9K Posts

December 27th, 2005 14:00

This must be rare.  A search of Google for UDFCHK.EXE yielded two Web Sites;
one was in a foreign language.  It did yield this ........

The reply links to some software that may be helpful.

96 Posts

December 27th, 2005 20:00

In the link someone describes the same problem I had - on some other disks - that all  my data was replaced by a couple of files beginning with "udf-" as was the name of the disk itself. But there is no indication of what this means or what causes this problem.

Ever since I bought this computer (an Inspiron 600m) I have had intermittent problems with CDs - both CD-R and CD-RWs. What I thought were good backup data disks proved not to be so. Sometimes a CD-RW which had plenty of unused space did not allow me to write more data to it, saying something like "this disk is read-only". I don't think it is the quality of the disks themselves since I've used different brands and different packages.

You're the only one who replied to my message. Surely someone at Dell must have an answer.

10.9K Posts

December 27th, 2005 21:00

Since you are using CDRW disks and expect to be able to add data, that means you
are using UDF (Universal Disk Format).  That is, you are formatting the disk
before use through a program on your system?  If you have Sonic, then you are
using DLA. 

96 Posts

December 27th, 2005 22:00

I used the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 - Direct CD format utility, that came from Dell with my system. For CD-RWs should I not use this and use the Windows XP format program?

10.9K Posts

December 27th, 2005 23:00

DirectCD upon format should allow you to add and remove files as long as the disk remains open.  The built-in Windows writing will close the disk each time and not allow additions. That is why is suspected in my original post the two are getting mixed.  DirectCD is a UDF program, also referred to as packet writing.  
No Events found!