Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2011 10:00

installed second HD

Hello all, I have a optiplex GX 260 and I install a second HD to it, the first HD was A 20GB HD and the second one is a 40GB HD, now after add the second 40GB hd I reformatted and got everything up and running but this is my problem, I now have hard disk drive C and E, now I would like to have just one hard disk drive C and I tried to jump the HD any and every kind of way I can think of to get it to work but nothing I try will work but the way I did it to see the two drive C and E, is there a way to add a second HD without having to hard disk drive, after I get the pc to see just one hard disk drive I will up grade it to windows 7, but if I do it now, it will show the two drives and that if I format one, it will not work right, (or so I think) so any help would be welcome!

4 Posts

when I up grade to windows 7, how will that work with two different hard disk drives showing?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi tla528,

There is no easy way to have two physical drives appear as a single drive in an IDE system. But there are definite advantages of keeping them separate. You can use a second drive to maintain data back-ups, and if one fails, you can replace it and not impact the other drive.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 11:00

It works just fine. Why wouldn't it?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 11:00

It would not be a good idea ( and probably not possible) to upgrade to win 7 Home Premium on such an old computer. Stick with XP until you can buy new and save the $100 cost of win 7. The Windows Upgrade Advisor will tell you why. Download it from here. windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor  It might say you can run the crippled win 7 basic since MS wants your $100, but that is a waste of money.

No Events found!