Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2015 16:00

loud and annoying noise from the DVD drive at system power on

Hello, I own a Dell Precision M6800 laptop equipped with the stock GS40N DVD writer. When powering on the system the DVD drive makes a loud noise as if it is trying to load a disk while there is no disk present in the drive bay. The noise disappears if I leave a disk inserted and power on the system, but this is hardly a solution for the issue.

The drive performs ok the rest of the time, it's making the loading noise only when I switch on  the laptop or when exiting the BIOS setup, but not when restarting from the OS, so I think it's something related to the POST checkup that is performed when powering on the system. I have updated the BIOS through every version released, including the latest version A14, but the problem is still present.

Is this noise normal for this DVD drive model? it's quite annoying.

14 Posts

July 1st, 2015 18:00

Hello Mr. Osprey4, thank you for for the quick response. My system is in UEFI boot mode which, I think, detects automatically the drives that have the necessary files to do a UEFI boot.  If i'm not mistaking this means that the DVD appears as a boot device only when a UEFI bootable DVD is inserted, only then I can uncheck the option to boot from the dvd in BIOS, but as I have mentioned the noise is present only when there is no disk in the bay, but when there is no disk, there is no option to unckeck in the bios because the UEFI setup doesn't detect the dvd as a bootable device if there is no UEFI bootable disk is inserted.

Bot the is another option to select the legacy boot which has the classic options with check boxes for the floppy, HDD, DVD,  network and so on, and I have tried that also. I unchecked the dvd drive from the boot list, applied the settings and exited BIOS but the noise from the dvd bay was still present. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2015 17:00

When does the noise occur? Before or after Windows starts loading?

14 Posts

August 1st, 2015 18:00

Well apparently that is how it's suppose to be making, I got a replacement and it makes the same noise, which is very  odd. Like the first unit it reads and writes disks OK, but it makes the disk loading noise on boot even with the dvd boot disabled.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 1st, 2015 17:00

Hi bpetre,

In the BIOS is a page for selecting boot devices. Make sure your DVD is unchecked or removed from the list of boot devices.

14 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 17:00

The noise occurs before windows starts to load. It occurs immediately after I push the power on switch and just before the Dell logo appears from where you can choose to enter the bios.

August 22nd, 2018 08:00

It is probably the Motherboard........I have the same problem.

When trying to burn a cd/dvd. Sounds like a buzz-saw.....lot of vibration,will not stop and cannot shut down the system..unless the power is unplugged.

Have had 2 DVD drives,HDD and cables replaced.........OS  re-installed ........still the same problem.

Dell Inspirion Desktop 

No Events found!