Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2008 01:00

missing or corrupt file system 32 config system Access denied in recovery console

I've been trying to resolve an issue with a corrupt system 32 config and when I go into recovery console, it does not ask me for any passwords which is one of the first things the recovery console is supposed to ask.  When I type the "md tmp" command to start the recovery process, it tells me ACCESS DENIED.  I have no passwords for the system or administrative password.  I hope someone can help me.  Thank you very much.  I am using the dell 4700 running windows XP.
Message Edited by LuvYaAl on 06-17-2008 11:56 PM
Message Edited by LuvYaAl on 06-17-2008 11:58 PM

1.7K Posts

June 18th, 2008 11:00

How long ago was it since windows was last installed fresh?

16 Posts

June 19th, 2008 02:00

It has been quite a while since there was a fresh install of the windows.  This seem to have happened randomly after we shut down one night.  The next morning we tried to start the computer and windows would not open. It just gave the message windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system.  After trying to use recovery console, now the first message to pop up is "error disc read".  When I try to go in to safe mode or safe mode with a command prompt, that first message comes back about the system 32, etc.  Again, I tried to follow the instructions on the dell or microsoft help sections, but when I type that first command - it tells me ACCESS DENIED.  THe first prompt is md tmp.  Thank you very much for getting back to me.  I really appreciate it.  I would hate not to be able to get back into my computer since there is stuff stored on there that I have never backed up.   

Thank you.    Lorraine

1.7K Posts

June 19th, 2008 10:00

Can you run scandisk? Or from the cd, Chkdsk /f

16 Posts

June 19th, 2008 12:00

I will try scandisk from the cd and let you know.  thank you for sticking with me.     Lorraine

16 Posts

June 19th, 2008 12:00

I ran CHKDSK and it said 25% completed  and said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.  I could not type chkdsk/F.  It did not recognize the /F.

1.7K Posts

June 19th, 2008 13:00

did you put a space before the /F?

16 Posts

nope but i will now!

1.7K Posts

That darn syntax wii get you every time. Let me know how it goes. Do you have much valuable data not backed up?

16 Posts

June 20th, 2008 01:00

Ohhhh.  It says The parameter is not valid.  Try /? for help.  I put Chkdsk /f all different ways - in all caps in lower case, in both upper and lower, with the space before the /F.  Sorry.  What am I doing wrong?  I put it right after the prompt that says   "C:\> .  One more piece of information.  When the recovery console starts, It never asks me for any password.  Is that OK?  All that comes up is that C:\>.  Thanks again.

1.7K Posts

June 20th, 2008 09:00

Do you have the windows cd? Or can borrow one? Your disk might be corrupted enough to have lost lots of files. If you have valuable files left on there, maybe recovering them should be your first priority. Do you have another pc to put the disk into? You could run scandisk if you did

16 Posts

June 20th, 2008 11:00

The disk I am using to try and recover is the operating system/reinstallation CD.  Is this the disk you are talking about?  I don't have any other disk other than that.  Sorry I am not sure of what is the next step you are prompting me to do.  I do have another pc which is not very stable.  We have a few laptops in the house.  Do you want me to put this windows cd in any of those to see if I run scandisk and type in the commands you asked me to type in in the last message and it will recognize that command?

Message Edited by LuvYaAl on 06-20-2008 07:30 AM

1.7K Posts

June 20th, 2008 13:00

I did not know where you were running it from. Are you worried about the data? Would it be worth the price of a new hard drive to save?

You could try chkdsk /r from the recovery console 

16 Posts

June 20th, 2008 21:00

I am trying to fix the problem (whatever this corrupted thing is) on the computer that windows will not open on.  Does my problem sound like my hard drive is no good?  I hope not.  I do have things on that computer that I have never backed up.  I am hoping to fix the files that are corrupt.  I have used either the dell or microsoft website to look up how to correct these corrupt or missing files.  But when I type that first command, it just tells me ACCESS DENIED.  So now I am going to type in the command you just gave me of the ckdsk /r.  I will tell you what happens.  It is taking a while to complete.  Thank you

1.7K Posts

June 20th, 2008 22:00

Your drive may be bad. It could be fine. Your problem indicates a good chance of a hardware memory problem. That would be the ram or hard drive.

You have unexpected messages. during try to fix your problem. There is a good chance that your data will be lost. And if you install on a new drive, you can copy your data over.  And with your original drive as a secondary, you can run scandisk on it and maybe recover. If you do get it working, you can use the drive as  a secondary.

You also said a second desktop needed fixing, so 1 drive can fix 2 machines. I think it is worth it. I do a lot of repairs and I keep spare drives handy. The cost of the drive is less than the loss of all the data.

So it is a choice thing. If it turns out the drive is going south, you'll need it anyways

16 Posts

June 21st, 2008 01:00

ok here is what it says after I did the Chkdsk /r.  The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.  It was 29% complete.  Then it gives the prompt  C:\>1
No Events found!