tr4
4 Beryllium

Re: missing or corrupt file system 32 config system Access denied in recovery console

Do you have the windows cd? Or can borrow one? Your disk might be corrupted enough to have lost lots of files. If you have valuable files left on there, maybe recovering them should be your first priority. Do you have another pc to put the disk into? You could run scandisk if you did
0 Kudos
LuvYaAl
1 Copper

Re: missing or corrupt file system 32 config system Access denied in recovery console

The disk I am using to try and recover is the operating system/reinstallation CD.  Is this the disk you are talking about?  I don't have any other disk other than that.  Sorry I am not sure of what is the next step you are prompting me to do.  I do have another pc which is not very stable.  We have a few laptops in the house.  Do you want me to put this windows cd in any of those to see if I run scandisk and type in the commands you asked me to type in in the last message and it will recognize that command?

Message Edited by LuvYaAl on 06-20-2008 07:30 AM
0 Kudos
tr4
4 Beryllium

I did not know where you were running it from. Are you worried about the data? Would it be worth the price of a new hard drive to save?

You could try chkdsk /r from the recovery console 

0 Kudos
LuvYaAl
1 Copper

I am trying to fix the problem (whatever this corrupted thing is) on the computer that windows will not open on.  Does my problem sound like my hard drive is no good?  I hope not.  I do have things on that computer that I have never backed up.  I am hoping to fix the files that are corrupt.  I have used either the dell or microsoft website to look up how to correct these corrupt or missing files.  But when I type that first command, it just tells me ACCESS DENIED.  So now I am going to type in the command you just gave me of the ckdsk /r.  I will tell you what happens.  It is taking a while to complete.  Thank you
0 Kudos
tr4
4 Beryllium

Your drive may be bad. It could be fine. Your problem indicates a good chance of a hardware memory problem. That would be the ram or hard drive.

You have unexpected messages. during try to fix your problem. There is a good chance that your data will be lost. And if you install on a new drive, you can copy your data over.  And with your original drive as a secondary, you can run scandisk on it and maybe recover. If you do get it working, you can use the drive as  a secondary.

You also said a second desktop needed fixing, so 1 drive can fix 2 machines. I think it is worth it. I do a lot of repairs and I keep spare drives handy. The cost of the drive is less than the loss of all the data.

So it is a choice thing. If it turns out the drive is going south, you'll need it anyways

0 Kudos
LuvYaAl
1 Copper

ok here is what it says after I did the Chkdsk /r.  The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.  It was 29% complete.  Then it gives the prompt  C:\>1
0 Kudos
tr4
4 Beryllium

You can run it a few more times. you do run the risk of losing your data with each try.
0 Kudos
LuvYaAl
1 Copper

Ahhhhhh.  Should I just keep trying it?  I'm scared!!!!!
0 Kudos
tr4
4 Beryllium

It's your stuff, it's up to you. Is your stuff worth $100 to you. If I took your hard drive, left an identical blank one and tried to get $100 ransom for it, would you pay? If not , then go ahead.

I've had many people say they have priceless stuff on their computer, when I put a price on their data, a lot say it's not worth it.  

0 Kudos
LuvYaAl
1 Copper

I ran it again after the first message came up, and right away it just says the same thing It does not even try to continue to scan any more.  In your last post you mention an alternative method which I am not quite clear on.  Could you let me know exactly what it is I need to do with another hard drive.  Do I get the new hard drive and then try and copy files on to it?  I think that requires hooking the bad computer to a good one.  Does a Dell Laptop count as a computer I can hook up to?  Ugh --- this really stinks.  I think the only thing I will be disappointed about losing is some stuff in an IPOD library my husband set up which he NEVER put on his IPOD.  He took sooooo long in making that library (and he NEVER uses a computer).  It would be a shame.  I am also sure that there are other things on that computer in word documents that belong to my kids.  Why the heck did this happen with this computer.  It really does not get any abuse.  Again I REALLY appreciate all of your help.  Also would a flash drive work.  My daughter has one of those.
0 Kudos