Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2010 22:00

my 2 disk drives disappeared

i was copying mp3's from cds back on to my pc(that i'd recently stored on the disk before operating system reinstall) . 1st time it froze while it was accessing the folders, so i closed the cd folder and opened again... i copied a couple of folders to pc (click and drag method) and when i tried to open one more folder it froze again... so once again i closed the cd folder. but when i go back into my computer both cd drives are gone(cd & cd-rw). i restarted pc and 1st thing that pops up is (don't remember exactly) "pc can't find primary or secondary drives press F1 to continue or F2 to enter set-up"

go into device manager and listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

• intel(R) ultra ATA storage controller - 24cb
  • primary IDE channel
  • secondary IDE channel

neither shows any problem. but one is suppose to be samsung cd-rw not sure what the other was but these properties have changed.

clicking update drivers come back with no new drivers available.

under disk drive:

• WDC WD400BB-75FJA1

i dont recall this entry, this doesn't look familiar to me...

the cd is a little scratched which would generally give a error message but never reconfigure my hardware before. the only thing different is that the cd seems to have a manufacturer defect on the outer edge under the surface (sort of looks like a mirror that has the reflective parts corroding).

i ran ccleaner to scan for registry issues and comes back none found.

dim 2400

winXP

SP3

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 16th, 2010 05:00

Hi Walbek,

One of your drives has gone bad. The way to determine which one is by having one connected and the other disconnected. Remember with one drive, it should be on the connector at the end of the IDE data cable.

A replacement drive is not expensive and they're very easy to install. Let me know if you need help.

268 Posts

April 16th, 2010 07:00

i started it this morning and the drives are back...

i'm figuring when i restarted it yesterday i still had the bad cd in the cd drive and it tried to access the defective part messing up start-up. i put that cd in the cd-rw drive put the rest of the mp3's on my pc. only a couple of "i don't care about" mp3's that couldn't be accessed. that cd is now history.

funny, that cd was the one that came with this pc, from "smart buy™" and under the name it says "the top disc manufacturer in the world!"

i'll be watching to see if it turns out to be a bad drive... thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 16th, 2010 17:00

Smart Buy, huh? Think I'll stick with Verbatim.

No Events found!