Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2013 12:00

new WD 4TB internal HD Black w/ Precision T7500

My existing BIOS is A-03 (2008). Should I upgrade to A13 BIOS (2013) ? Will it recognized the full 4Tb capacity. I will be using it as a secondary HD. Anything I should be aware in the procedure before upgrading my BIOS.

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi JeanP2,

Since you are installing as a secondary drive, all you should need to do is update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology utility. However, it can't hurt to update the BIOS.

November 19th, 2013 15:00

I just installed a T7500 with the latest BIOS = A16, and the latest Win 7/x64 drivers + 

Ubuntu 12.04.

I connect a WD Red 4TB to one of the SATA ports, and this is detected by the BIOS.

It is EXT4 formatted, so no trace in Windows 7 Pro of course, but it is visible in Linux.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2013 06:00

I still need some info in how to proceed for the Intel RST utility as previously suggested. Anybody can provide road path...Can I assume the RST installation is more likely to resolve the problem than upgrading my BIOS.

The Ubuntu OS in not a solution for me. Tks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 20th, 2013 11:00

Go here for information on how to download and install the Intel RST. If that works, then you don't need to worry about the BIOS update.

June 19th, 2018 13:00

I know this thread is a little old but thought I would pass along. As long as you plug the High Capacity drive into one of the 3 Sata ports on the T7500 Motherboard the BIOS will recognize the hard drives full capacity (In my case it was a 8TB Seagate Barracuda). The BIOS in question on my T7500 was version A16 (which as of this post is the most current).

June 28th, 2018 13:00

After doing so more investigation work there is one additional Sata port on the T7500 and it is located on the back of the Workstations Chassis in between the USB Ports (See the below Link for a Visual View), Commonly refereed to as eSata (If any one still remembers) ...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ae/en/aedhs1/sln291073/precision-workstation-t7500-visual-guide?lang=en

Just remember to activate the port in the System Setup (The BIOS). This was originally meant to be a faster alternative to USB  (Before USB 3.0 was fully implemented) So companies like Calvary sold their external drives with the eSata option. However, If you want to Power the Hard Drive you can either A) Buy a external Power supply to the hard drive, Needless to say this would be cumbersome and awkward (Not the preferred method) or B) Simply run the eSata cord from the port on the back of the T7500, through one of the PCI Riser slots, into the hard drive on the inside of the workstation and use the built in Workstation PS plugs to power the hard drive (The preferred method). This will give you one more SATA Port that will see beyond 2TB on the motherboard (I believe the limit is 16TB but as I stated before I can only for sure confirm at least 8TB).

Just in case your wondering I did plug a 4TB HD that I had into one of the SAS ports (It's a SAS 6/iR Card integrated into the motherboard) and even if you leave the SAS card un-configured it will only see 2048GB (2TB) on both the Firmware on the card and in the OS.

1 Message

July 26th, 2018 18:00

Hello, This post really helped me out. I just bought an 8tb. It's good to know it should work. I was wondering if you could point me to some documentation to learn more about T7500 connections. Specifically, the SAS vs Sata connections. I am new to this aspect of computers and trying to learn about it.  

Thank you so much!!!

July 27th, 2018 17:00

DelwynJr,

Here is a link to the DELL Precision T7500 Workstation Users Manual that will specifically point out which are SATA Ports and SAS Ports on the T7500 Motherboard, just download the manual at this link...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/precision-t7500/manuals

Their are 3 SATA Ports on the motherboard (They are all cream colored) and 4 SAS Ports (The are all black in color). these all use the Same SATA connectors which makes them interchangeable with either type. However, the eSata Port (which is located on the back of the tower) you will need to find a eSata cord with a Sata connector end.

My advice is to put any of your 2TB or below Hard Drives (Mechanical or SSD) along with any ROMS you are using (Blu-Ray, DVD, CD etc...) on the SAS Connectors since they will only register up to 2TB only. Anything Bigger than 2TB put on the SATA Ports and reserve them for storage only.

Anymore questions please let me know.

ITBeast

1 Message

February 12th, 2020 14:00

John,

Thank you for your explanation of the SAS vs SATA connectors!  I have been trying (unsuccessfully) for some time to put a larger hard drive on the SAS connector and kept running onto the 2TB limit!

No Events found!