Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2014 13:00

new hdd and "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cables"

Hi

I have a dell xps 15 and last month the hdd started to do a “click clack” noise. It was a Toshiba SATA 5400 rpm 1 TB one. After a lot of working trying to fix it, I gave up and I bought a new hdd at the dell site, after checking that it was totally compatible with my laptop. The new hdd is a 7200 rpm, 320GB, SATA. I have the windows 7 operational system cd that came with my laptop, in case I had to reinstall the OS. I installed the new hdd and tried to install the OS, but I could not. I have the message on my screen: Operation system not found. I checked BIOS, put it back to original setup, put the boot menu to check the cd/dvd/cd-rw drive first, saved, and tried again, and again the same error. When I press Enter, I got the following message:

“Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller series v2.37 (10/28/10)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cables

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM”

I came back to BIOS, ran the diagnosis, the complete one, and everything went fine. I checked the hdd assembling, removed it, removed the battery, pressed the power button for 1 minute, reassembled the hdd, and tried again, with the same “Operation system not found”.

I copied the windows cd to an external hd, reconfigured the BIOS, and tried to boot from the usb, and it did not worked.

What can I do? I do not have another laptop to check if my new hdd is working.

Thank you

Joe

1 Message

February 25th, 2018 13:00

Im having a similar problem, I have a dell inspiron 15-7559 and i checked the hdd and it was fine. But i sti have the media test error. I also can not boot to bios, the keyboard lights up I’ve tried everything and i cant get to bios. Any tips?

1 Message

October 17th, 2020 10:00

Does the data gets losted in this process?

No Events found!