nicolarollin
1 Copper

new studio slim won't play blu ray discs

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me.  I have just bought a new Studio Slim 540s and can't get it to play any blu ray movies.  At first I thought it was just the software that shipped with the computer so I have uninstalled that and reinstalled it, which didn't work.  I uninstalled, restarted and installed a completely different program and that didn't work either.  They just say "media not supported" when I try to play a blu ray although they both play normal DVDs fine.

I triple checked the config of the computer I ordered and it's a blu-ray rom drive with CD/DVD read/write too.  I even looked at the CD tray and yes, it has a blu ray logo on it

But I can't get it to work no matter what I do.  Windows says it's working properly and that there are no new updates available, although the driver is from 2006!

I'm running Vista home premium 64 bit.  I unfortunately can't get any info on the make of the blu ray drive but what I can get out of device manager is: HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD GBC-H20N ATA device.

I also checked the region settings and it's set to region 2 for dvd (which I thought was funny, aren't blu ray region codes A B and C?)

Does anyone have any ideas?  is it likely to be a driver problem or a hardware/firmware issue?  This computer is less than a week old and I already want to murder it (it murdered my iPhone too, but that's a whole other story!)

Many thanks

Nicola

ETA: I can browse through the folders inside the blu ray disc using Explorer, which I hope is a good sign that the computer can actually read blu ray discs even if it refuses to play the movies!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: new studio slim won't play blu ray discs

See THIS forum thread on this subject. Several have or had the same problems as you.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos