Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2006 14:00

precision 390 Need to change OS to win 2000 pro from XP..W2K setup cannot find SATA hard drive.

I have purchaced a couple of Dell Precision 390 systems, I need to Install W2K (could not order with)but when I try to install from the W2K CD I get a message no hard drive found?? I have turned off the Raid setup and on bootup both drives are found as Basic disks but no luck installing the OS.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

9.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2006 14:00

You'll have to press F6 at the initial boot from the CD. Then you'll need the scsi or raid driver when Windows asks for it. It can only be loaded via a floppy drive, USB floppy drives generally won't work, so it'll have to be an internal floppy drive.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2006 19:00

I was having this issue on a 390 that needed to be switched from Red Hat to XP. I downloaded the Dell SAS 5/iR Adapter driver and placed it on a floppy, which WAS readable using a USB floppy drive.

In order for Windows to recognize the drives though, I had to go into the BIOS and change the SATA Operation option from RAID/AHCI to RAID/ATA. After that, WinXP was able to load the driver from the diskette and see the hard drive in setup.

Hope this helps.
No Events found!